Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Peripheral Neuropathy (pins and needles in feet and fingers)

(5 Posts)
dottee Tue 02-Aug-05 21:25:14

I've been experiencing pins and needles (and sometimes painful stabbing sensations) in my toes, feet and most recently fingers for the last few months now. Last month I went to see a consultant about thyroid problems (it's been underactive and overactive) and he has written to my GP saying I have symptons of PN(but Gp won't confirm it for certain just yet). Instead I've got to go back for a blood test next month with the ongoing thyroid investigation.

I've been put on Amitryptaline (sp?) for the pain relief (it is an anti-depressant sometimes but on this occasion it's been used as pain relief for the pins and needles).

The reason why I am posting this is to ask if anyone else has experienced PN and what was the outcome. As far as I've read, it may continue indefinately. Feeling a bit down obviously.

ruty Wed 03-Aug-05 10:23:16

my dad has had PN for a few years now and as far as i know it hasn't got worse. It just affects the tips of his fingers. I think, i may be wrong, that they said it may effect his vision, but when he had a check they said his eyes were absolutely fine and there was no damage. I think it can be mild. Good luck.

ruty Wed 03-Aug-05 11:06:05

just spoke to dad - the vision thing was not connected to PN - sorry!

dottee Wed 03-Aug-05 18:38:17

Thanks for your response ruty. One good thing - they've checked me for diabetes and I'm fine in that department.

ruty Wed 03-Aug-05 19:16:19

that's good news.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now