Talk

Advanced search

Peripheral Neuropathy (pins and needles in feet and fingers)

(5 Posts)
dottee Tue 02-Aug-05 21:25:14

I've been experiencing pins and needles (and sometimes painful stabbing sensations) in my toes, feet and most recently fingers for the last few months now. Last month I went to see a consultant about thyroid problems (it's been underactive and overactive) and he has written to my GP saying I have symptons of PN(but Gp won't confirm it for certain just yet). Instead I've got to go back for a blood test next month with the ongoing thyroid investigation.

I've been put on Amitryptaline (sp?) for the pain relief (it is an anti-depressant sometimes but on this occasion it's been used as pain relief for the pins and needles).

The reason why I am posting this is to ask if anyone else has experienced PN and what was the outcome. As far as I've read, it may continue indefinately. Feeling a bit down obviously.

ruty Wed 03-Aug-05 10:23:16

my dad has had PN for a few years now and as far as i know it hasn't got worse. It just affects the tips of his fingers. I think, i may be wrong, that they said it may effect his vision, but when he had a check they said his eyes were absolutely fine and there was no damage. I think it can be mild. Good luck.

ruty Wed 03-Aug-05 11:06:05

just spoke to dad - the vision thing was not connected to PN - sorry!

dottee Wed 03-Aug-05 18:38:17

Thanks for your response ruty. One good thing - they've checked me for diabetes and I'm fine in that department.

ruty Wed 03-Aug-05 19:16:19

that's good news.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: