Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Mirena coil and antibiotics

(8 Posts)
vivie Tue 02-Aug-05 20:28:15

I've been taking Metronidazole antibiotics for an infected wisdom tooth (ouch). Will this affect the contraceptive-ness of my Mirena coil? If so, does anyone know how long we need to use something else? The dentist and pharmacist have been really clear that I shouldn't drink alcohol while taking the tablets, does anyone know what happens if you do? They made it sound like I'd grow another head or something! Thanks!

happymerryberries Tue 02-Aug-05 20:29:53

No it shouldn't. there are very few antibiotics that affect hormone metabolism, and those few that do affect oestrogens not progesterone

MrsGordonRamsay Tue 02-Aug-05 20:30:52

Hey Miss

Are you a Science teacher ???

chicagomum Tue 02-Aug-05 20:48:02

the antibiotics and the contraceptive should be fine, however the alcohol isn't advised as many people tend to throw up if mixing the two which obviously (a) isn't pleasnat and (b) can reduce the effectiveness of any medication as you may not have absorbed it before you are sick

happymerryberries Tue 02-Aug-05 20:54:40

MGR, yes I am, but in a pervious life I used to work in the medical information department of a company that made the Pill! I can bore for britainon contraception

Yorkiegirl Tue 02-Aug-05 20:55:49

Message withdrawn

vivie Tue 02-Aug-05 21:07:47

Thanks girls, isn't mumsnet wonderful!

MrsGordonRamsay Tue 02-Aug-05 21:58:48

Knew about the science teacher thing

Unaware of previous life

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now