Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

LEVOTHYROXINE???

(7 Posts)
tiffini Tue 02-Aug-05 18:24:18

I picked up my repeat prescription today for an underactive thyroid.

I did'nt realise until I had collected the tablets from the chemist and got home, that I had been prescribed 'levothyroxine'

They are usually called 'thyroxine'

I am now worried that I have been given the wrong tablets, maybe for an overactive thyroid.

Have read the leaflet, but it does'nt state what they are for, only that they are to control thyroid levels.

Just wondering if anyone knows, if they have changed the name, or if anyone else takes these, and what they are for.

TIA

WigWamBam Tue 02-Aug-05 18:30:41

Levothyroxine is thyroxine, you're OK.

tiffini Tue 02-Aug-05 18:31:48

Phew!!!!! Thanks WWB

WigWamBam Tue 02-Aug-05 18:32:29

happymerryberries Tue 02-Aug-05 18:33:02

It is a synthetic version of thyroxine. Is it the correct dose? Can you phone your pharmasist to check

WigWamBam Tue 02-Aug-05 18:35:04

It's just another name for thyroxine; unless you pay huge amounts of money for a private prescription, all thyroxine tablets are synthetic. They are exactly the same thing (I take it too).

tiffini Tue 02-Aug-05 18:37:01

Yes it is the right dose, due for a blood test in 6 weeks to check my thyroid level.
I was just worried they had prescribed me tablets for an 'overactive thyroid' which would'nt have done me much good if I was taking them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now