Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

thrush help

(15 Posts)
spod Tue 02-Aug-05 09:54:23

Message deleted

NotQuiteCockney Tue 02-Aug-05 17:10:59

I don't know that I'd bother seeing a doctor, but I would look into ways of preventing it, mostly:
- less sugar, yeast in diet
- making sure the relevant bits get lots of air

spod Tue 02-Aug-05 21:35:39

Message deleted

NotQuiteCockney Wed 03-Aug-05 01:45:08

No, not dangerous per se. But recurring thrush can be a sign of some sort of immune system problem. Or maybe diabetes? I don't think 3 times in 12 months is that recurring, particularly if it hasn't taken multiple treatments to clear it each time.

spod Wed 03-Aug-05 21:22:32

Message deleted

NotQuiteCockney Wed 03-Aug-05 22:42:24

Sounds reasonable. I had enough energy today to find you this . Essentially, diabetes is the one big disease that would cause lots of thrush. Assuming you don't have any other signs of diabetes (unexplained weight loss, drinking + peeing lots, unexplained tiredness), I wouldn't worry.

gingernut Wed 03-Aug-05 23:00:09

Spod, it may just be worth checking to see if your partner has symptoms of thrush. The only time I developed it was when I got it from my dh! It turned out he had undiagnosed diabetes which was why he'd developed it. So you may be getting repeated infections because he keeps re-infecting you.

It took me ages and a change in my diet as well as lots of Canesten to get rid of it though. Best to help things along with dietary changes as NQC suggests (also cut down on caffeine and alcohol I seem to remember).

I don't think thrush 3 times in a year is necessarily significant. Some people are just prone to it - have you had it much before? Re diabetes it may be worth getting checked if you have any symptoms, or had gestational diabetes or have a family history. It can develop without you noticing any symptoms.

peaceandlight Wed 03-Aug-05 23:07:53

gingernut, can i just ask did your dh have thrush as his only symptom of his diabetes?

spidermama Wed 03-Aug-05 23:12:51

Do you know about pro-biotics? Acidophulus bifodus can be bought from health food shops and will help restore the balance of mircroflora.

Candidas feeds on sugary, yeasty foods so cut right back on them for a bit.

I had terrible thrush in pg, cream didn't clear it. MW suggested I thread cotton through a garlic clove, put a couple of drops of tea tree on clove, and put it inside vagina (leaving a cotton tail haging out for easy retrieval).

Sounds radical, but it cleared overnight. What a relief it was.

Good luck.

gingernut Wed 03-Aug-05 23:17:04

At that time yes, and he wasn't diagnosed for another year after that by which time he did have symptoms which were excessive thirst (he would drink about 2 litres of water at night), tingly fingers and blurred vision.

Can I ask why you are interested?

peaceandlight Wed 03-Aug-05 23:28:13

it's just that i have had what i think is recurring thrush for ages but also feel tired alot and just not quite right. Have wondered whether diabetes was a possibility.

gingernut Wed 03-Aug-05 23:36:10

I'd get tested if I were you. Most cases of Type 2 diabetes are diagnosed through routine testing rather than the person presenting with symptoms. My dh was very unusual in having severe symptoms which developed quite suddenly.

Feeling tired and not quite right could also be down to other things though. Best to see your doctor and discuss everything, including the thrush.

Fungal infections can be hard to shift. I have almost permanent athlete's foot but am not diabetic, so the recurring thrush is not necessarily a worrying sign of something more serious. But it is horrid and probably worth seeing your doctor about anyway.

peaceandlight Wed 03-Aug-05 23:41:36

yeah, i will do. thanx for replying gingernut

spod Thu 04-Aug-05 22:01:06

Message deleted

gingernut Fri 05-Aug-05 00:30:56

Spod, diabetes can cause you to pass up to 5 times the normal amount of urine. This makes you feel very thirsty and drink a lot. The thirst may be most noticeable at night, when the sufferer may actually wake from the thirst. As I said, my dh was drinking about 2 litres of water overnight.

However it is common for people with Type 2 diabetes not to notice any symptoms prior to diagnosis, partly because they develop very gradually.

Re sugary foods, you need to stay off sugary drinks too (and this includes fruit juices).

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: