Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

alternative remedies for a newborn with colic and her anxious mum .......can you recommend something good please?

(20 Posts)
lunachic Mon 01-Aug-05 12:11:46

a friend of mine has a 2 week old dd. she has colic and her mum is fretting-very anxious emotional ,tension headaches
i have recommended fennel tea (for them both)
chamomilla for the baby and bach rescue remedy for her
was wondering of any other flower remedy which would be good and of anything else she could take for anxiety

anything else good for colic ?

homeopathic remedies ? (pulsatilla maybe ?? anyone know?

and also is it ok to take valerian when bf the pharmacist said no but i said teh tea might be ok

TIA

stitch Mon 01-Aug-05 12:15:37

with the chamomilla, if it doesnt work after two doses, she should stop using it. it is a medicine, and it shocks me how it is sometimes used in an unregulated way. two drops in sterile water three times a day, and if it doesnt work, stop it.
dont know about the pulsatilla. is the baby breastfed? how about a relaxing facial/ massage etc for the mom?
someone in to do some housework/cleaning/cooking for the mom?
good luck

stitch Mon 01-Aug-05 12:15:58

i meant after two days! oops

lunachic Mon 01-Aug-05 12:21:06

the baby is breast fed i said it would be good for her to take the chamomilla too(or instead of baby)

why would it be bad to give too much of it (i understand its no use to give it if it doesnt work) but as i understand yyou cant od on homeopathic medicine
i prefer to give the powder or granules to a baby as they have no alcohol like the tincture

katierocket Mon 01-Aug-05 12:37:47

see GeorginaA's post on this thread here with a summary of all the things that can help. Georgina has also done a brilliant website with help/info for those suffering with a baby that has colic but I can't find the link.
Might be worth CATing her

lunachic Mon 01-Aug-05 13:41:54

thanks katie have also found a section in my natural childcare book v.helpful

katierocket Mon 01-Aug-05 13:43:23

there was a great thread ages and ages ago all about colic and I think that was what inspired GeorginaA to do her website. It really is very useful and worth a look. If you have a child with very bad colic as I did, you can be desperate for all and any possible remedies.

By the way, for me the only thing that helped my DS was cranial osteopathy.

lunachic Mon 01-Aug-05 13:47:28

found the link on the other thread thanks -what a great site ! i will pass it on will look for the other thread later i have told her to get mumsnetting im sure( i know !) she will find help and support on here

katierocket Mon 01-Aug-05 13:48:30

it is very very hard when you have a child with colic and often you find other mums who haven't experience colic don't really understand what you are going through. Point her this way, we'll help!

lunachic Mon 01-Aug-05 13:54:58

my ds had it but mostly tae time not night time obv. at night is much harder to cope with

GeorginaA Tue 02-Aug-05 19:08:02

My colic link

Papillon Tue 02-Aug-05 19:13:32

does she have a sling lunachic

might help relax her and the baby?

mylittleyellowduck Tue 02-Aug-05 19:20:27

CRANIAL OSTEOPATHY.... It's basically gentle manipulation of babys head and back - much like a massage....especially if your baby had an assisted delivery. My son had forceps delivery and when about 9 weeks old i noticed he could not move his head well an his left side. One session with a registered osteopath and he was swinging his head about and grinning. My sister has a 9 week old who has BAD colic and after 4-5 sessions her little girl is a different baby. run a google search on it there is plenty of info on the web - I can reccommend a good guy in Thame Oxon let me know if you want more info

Hayls Tue 02-Aug-05 19:23:41

Only thing that helped my dd was cranial osteopathy- overnight cure and I was amazed (was totally cynical but desperate). It's not exactly cheap but it worked out more economical than the total of all the remedies I tried. There is a website with a locator for finding osteopaths near you but I can't remember the name- hopefully somebody else will.

logic Tue 02-Aug-05 19:26:50

My dd has colic and it is truly dreadful. We are trying cranial osteopathy. We've had one session and it has already made a slight difference.

bumpylump Tue 02-Aug-05 19:28:30

mylittleyelloduckie is right, I tried absolutely everything with DS (now 13 wks), he has had 4 sessions with a Cranial Osteopath and is a different baby.It is magical .

Also the Hv is still seeing him as he has reflux as well & she mentioned that babies with colic/reflux are often highly sensitive to smells, bought a lavender candle as she recommended as he is so much more relaxed and sleeping longer too!

helsi Tue 02-Aug-05 19:33:49

car ride stimulation?
low lactose milk?
herbal tea (extracts of camomile, licorice, vervain, fennel and mint balm are meant to be good)

bigdonna Fri 05-Aug-05 19:53:28

my dd had really bad colic for about 8 weeks(seemed like 8yrs).i did baby massage and i found camomile tea helped cant remember what age they can have it.

ABow Fri 05-Aug-05 20:36:58

I have a friend who swears by Parsons Powders

paolosgirl Fri 05-Aug-05 20:41:50

Colosinth (sp?) crystals? Worked for mine..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now