Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone elses child had a ga to have dental work done?

(19 Posts)
Blossomhill Mon 01-Aug-05 08:51:34

Dd (nearly 6) is going under a ga next week to have dental work done. The dentist tried and pesevered for a year to try and do one without but no success.
I would be really grateful to hear anyone elses experiences. She has the op on the Weds and we go away on Sat. I am hoping she will be ok.
She is having 2 teeth out, 1 capped and the back ones coated so will be out for about an hour.
I am worried and this was the last resort but I know it has to be done!

Jimjams Mon 01-Aug-05 08:55:09

oh god BH not yet, but its going to happen. Ds1 won't even open his mouth for the dentist (or anyone else) so luckily no-one can see if his teeth are rotting. Plenty of friend's kids have had a ga for dental work and been fine. do you want any blood tests done or anything- if so ask them to do it while she's under,

Gillian76 Mon 01-Aug-05 08:58:48

We are in the same boat with DD1 (5). We came back from holidays early because she had toothache. I knew having refused to let our own dentist anywhere near her, there was no way a random Italian dentist had any better chance!

Anyway she has to go to hsopital tomorrow to have 2 extractions under GA. I feel awful about it - guilty, scared, you know...

Never had any experience of it personally but our next door neighbour's DS (also 5) had the same treatment a couple of weeks ago with no ill effects. Was absolutely fine the next day.

Good luck to you when it comes round

Gillian76 Mon 01-Aug-05 20:31:13

DD away to bed now. Nothing more to eat or drink until after the event now. Hope she has a "long" lie in the morning, ie 7 or after!

Blossomhill Mon 01-Aug-05 20:32:45

Gillian - just seen this. Hope it all goes well and dd makes a very speedy recovery.

Please let me know how it goes.

Gillian76 Mon 01-Aug-05 20:34:08

Will definitely report back tomorrow, blossomhill. Feeling a bit sick at the thought just now

Blossomhill Mon 01-Aug-05 20:35:45

Gillian - I know as I will be feeling the same.

Just think this time tomorrow it will all be over. xxx

Gillian76 Tue 02-Aug-05 17:21:50

We are home and it's all done. Do you want the truthful version???

saffy202 Tue 02-Aug-05 17:44:42

I was going to post last night because ds1 had a ga when he was young for dental work. Then I had second thoughts as sometimes it's best not to know the details
This morning ds2 woke up and said his mouth hurt. It turned out to be an abcess - had to whisk him off to the dentists - couldn't believe the coincidence of me thinking about this thread last night - anyway they took it out whilst he was awake and he was so brave!

I find a promise of a new toy or treat rapidly aids recovery

Gillian76 Tue 02-Aug-05 18:36:04

She was very resistant to the anaesthetic so I had to hold her while they held the gas to her face. It wasn't a mask though - the tube had a little nozzle which the anaesthetist held close to her nose and mouth. She really struggled and it was quite traumatic for both of us. It seemed to take for ever but must have been less than a minute. That was the most difficult part.

Anyway, she wasn't out for very long (10 minutes maybe). I went and sat in the waiting room while they did their stuff. She came round in the recovery room before I got there. I think you are normally there before they come round properly. She was crying a bit and the nurse gave her some Calpol. After another 10 minutes or so we were able to leave. She walked to the car. We were at the hospital for less than 2 hours in total.

She's had some custard and bits of soft bread to eat today. We were told to have a quiet day so she's been at home with her dad watching DVD's while I had the younger 2 out and about. Now she seems absolutely fine.

She's had more Calpol this afternoon and I'll give her some at bedtime. Tomorrow I'll wait and see how she feels before I giver her any.

Hope I haven't given too much info that you didn't want

Good luck when it's your dd's turn.

Blossomhill Thu 04-Aug-05 09:11:43

Gillian - only just seen this. Well glad it all went well My dd has to be under for an hour though so am a bit worried about that.
Have decided that dh is going to be with her when she goes under as I was when she did for her grommets and I can't go through it again, so distressing.
How are things today? I ams lightly anxious as dd goes underon the weds and we are going on holiday on the Saturday.
I am def. going to have some quiet days before the holiday though!

Gillian76 Thu 04-Aug-05 10:50:27

Hi Blossom

She's absolutely fine - has been since the day after. She had 2 wobbly teeth as well and they took them out too. Tooth fairy was cleaned out after her visit !

Sure your DD will be just fine. I agree a quiet day or so before the holiday will be in order, but by the time it comes she'll be right as rain.

Let me know how it goes. Good luck xx

Blossomhill Fri 05-Aug-05 10:03:08

Gillian - glad dd is feeling better

I just want ours over and done with as dd will be out for an hour

They are also checking her vocal chords over as she has a gravelly voice so.

Fingers crossed.

i'll let you know how it all goes. Thanks xxxxxx

expatinscotland Fri 05-Aug-05 10:10:27

They don't administer GA in a dental office here, do they? My god, I could NEVER consent to that at all, no matter how short-acting! A child died here in Edinburgh from that. You never know what sort of reaction a person will have to GA the first time they go under - they should be monitored in a hospital setting, especially a child.

I have a genetic condition called 'hyperthermia' that I was unaware of until I had to have GA for minor knee surgery. I cringe to imagine what could have happened to me if I hadn't been in hospital! Even now, I carry a card that states this condition on my person at all times, and have to avoid GA if at all possible.

chicagomum Fri 05-Aug-05 18:45:51

expat, they don't actually administer GA's in a dental surgery but rather in a hospital environment where they have all the necessary resuscitation equipment and highly trained and experienced staff. in addition i don't think posting what you have on this thread is really helpful to those who have clearly stated that they have apprehensions about it (and i'm sure all of us are aware of the possibilty (which is V.V. rare) of something happening. none of these poeple are putting their children through a GA for the hell of it, just sometimes with dental situations, it the only way to deal with the problem (every tried cleaning your kids teeth when they don't want you too? well imagine trying to get in there mouth with a needle or some other frightening looking piece of equiptment)

bensmum3 Sun 07-Aug-05 21:20:59

Thankyou for this thread, dd has been advised to have 4 teeth out because of overcrowding, and can't face having it done at the dentist surgery , he's now suggesting having it done under GA, and I thought it was a bit over the top, but reading this is reassuring that dd isnt the only child and maybe the hospital wont think I'm a bad mother because I can't persuade my dd she will be ok having it done at the dentists..

Milliways Mon 08-Aug-05 15:23:21

My DS had GA for tooth removal aged 3 (bike accident - tooth too far gone to save, not gone enough to just fall out!). He was in OR for 10 mins, took another 20-30 mins to wake up fully, came home same day & NO after effects.

BlossomHill, hope it goes well. Usually, if there is a delayed reaction it is just emotional/tiredness on 3rd day, but that tends to be adults. Kids bounce back so quickly. DS went back to nursery 2 days after op & was fine.

Have a great holiday - surely the excitment of that will help as well.

Blossomhill Tue 09-Aug-05 15:20:06

Miliways - thanks Have only just seen this.

I am feeling really anxious and just want it all over with tbh

Blossomhill Wed 10-Aug-05 16:30:20

Dd had her surgery today. Story here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now