Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

4 week old baby with a cold...where can I get a nose unblocker??!

(16 Posts)
mogwai Sat 30-Jul-05 12:33:42

my dd is four weeks old and suffering with a cold. It makes feeing times very difficult as she struggles to suck and breathe.

How can I help her?

I want one of those nose unblockers (like the thing in the infacol bottle, with a bulb on the end) but my local mothercare (big version) doesn't have them...and ideas???

spidermama Sat 30-Jul-05 12:35:40

Suck it out.
Don't swallow though!

alexw Sat 30-Jul-05 12:36:35

Boots have them. You can also get saline nose drops which also work too.

spidermama Sat 30-Jul-05 12:37:19

I did this with my daughter because she couldn't breath through her nose and wanted to feed so badly. I just stood by with a tissue, sucked it out then spat into the tissue.

Not everyone's cup of tea I should think.

morningpaper Sat 30-Jul-05 12:40:47

Spidermama you are SO hard!

spidermama Sat 30-Jul-05 12:48:03

Actually I remember it as a bit of a parenting low point morningpaper.
It was a rock-and-a-hardplace situation. Baby screaming and hungry. Needed to feed but impeded by inability to breath. Me reaching end of tether. Right. Bit the bullet. here goes.
(Suck. Spit. Bleurkk!!!!)

alux Sat 30-Jul-05 13:28:51

try a nasal aspirator. toysrus sells them as part of a handy baby medical kit. also perfectly happy people sells one for £1.99 which is not quite as nice as the one in the kit available at toysrus. (it doesn't have a little guard to make sure you don't insert it too far.)

Can't understand why these are not more widely known in the UK.

mogwai Sat 30-Jul-05 13:32:30

spidermama you are a mothering hero. I'm speechless.

I'll try toysrus this evening, thanks

Monstersmum Sat 30-Jul-05 13:57:30

I live in Hungary and they have ones here that you attach to your vacum cleaner!!!!!!!

Some people swear by them!

highlander Sat 30-Jul-05 14:44:09

Apparently in France it's part of the nightly routine to give the sinuses a flush with saline and suck it out.

geranium Sat 30-Jul-05 17:48:52

we found saline drops did the trick without any of the "follow-up action" . Phew. In fact we assumed the doctor was joking when he mentioned the nasal unblocker

tamula Sat 30-Jul-05 17:51:34

My dd had a cold at exactly the same age, shes 4 months on friday.

Toys r us and big Boots stock them but in Toys r us you have to but it as part of a pack and the pack is quite dear.

I just sucked the snot out!!!

spidermama Sat 30-Jul-05 17:52:54

You and me both tamula. I make a point of not swallowing. (singger)

serah Sat 30-Jul-05 18:15:54

Now breastfeeding toddlers does not bother me one slightest bit, but sucking snot????? Has this thing kicked off yet??? Spidermama! You have a stomach of steel!!!

serah Sat 30-Jul-05 18:17:59

PS mogwai.... always found junior olbas useful in a burner in whichever room DS was in when he got his first cold. Seemed to help a lot. Has to be the junior stuff though.

eidsvold Sun 31-Jul-05 09:52:33

another vote here for saline nasal drops,, they sell something here in Aus called Fess for little noses.... not sure if you could get it from your chemist in the UK

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now