Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

head injury baby...

(10 Posts)
dabihp Thu 28-Jul-05 23:22:27

Any advice...

I was getting my 8 week old baby dressed after her bath and she jump/fell backwards.

I have a chest of drawers with a changer on top. she was on her changing mat, which is padded, but obviously th esurface below is wooden.

She was sitting up and my hand was under her chin, trying to get vest over her and she jumped back and banged her head on the padded changing mat.

She immediately started screaming.. but then had a bottle and has settled since.

I phoned nhs direct and they went through list of things, said she seemed fine but to watch her closely and make sure i can wakre her every 2 hrs or so... obviously to look out for anythign unusual and if needed take her to casualty.

she is supposed to have her injections 2mrw but i think i might delay as i have to watch her for 24hrs and since this happened at 7.30pm i wouldnt want any reaction from jabs to interfere with any reaction from this...

feel so sick, am so careful with her...

colditz Thu 28-Jul-05 23:24:12

Oh, please don't feel bad, most people have done this at one time or another, I dropped my baby on the bed from about 2 feet higher when he was 10 weeks old, but no damage done. It made me feel physically sick, but it's always worse for you than it is for them!

burstingbug Thu 28-Jul-05 23:28:17

My DS rolled off of our bed last week, think I screamed more than he did!! I kept an eye on him all day and he was fine, although he is 22 weeks old so a little bit sturdier than your DD.

Angeliz Thu 28-Jul-05 23:30:26

Oh poor baby and poor you!

We've all been there i'm sure.
I would agree about the jabs though,m just put them back a bit it's no problem.

Angeliz Thu 28-Jul-05 23:32:10

BTW, i broke a glass tonight, it shattered on the shelf where i dropped it and i was holding dd2 at the time. (she's 22 weeks).
All night i've been thinking about it as she rubs g=her eyes when she's tired and i found a tiny shard of glass in her hair and i've been thinking OH My Word, what if she had..........

Nbg Thu 28-Jul-05 23:34:29

I remember putting dd in to her car seat when she was 2 weeks old. It was when we had a land rover so it was quite high up to get her in her seat and I banged her head on the car when I was putting her in. Everyone around us heard the bang and she just screamed straight away.

I felt so so sick and guilty but she was well and truly fine.

I'm sure your dd will be ok. We know how you feel though.

dabihp Thu 28-Jul-05 23:34:36

Angeliz - poor you, thank god u found it though...

FIMAC1 Thu 28-Jul-05 23:38:07

Ds slipped on the bathroom floor at one and ended up with huge egg like bump on forehead - it grew in front of my eyes and ended up so big I called his Doctor who asked me to bring him in if the bruising spread down his face - which it indeed did do a few days later so I took him in - as soon as she saw him she ordered him to have a x ray as she thought he had fractured his skull - turns out Hospital thought he had done too as the brusing was so bad - he hadn't and they both could not believe it

It doesn't end there as about 10 days later - he climbed out of his cot - and fell on exactly the same spot! I cried all the way to his doctors as I thought I would be had up for child abuse - anyway please dont't worry as about 99% of us have been there and although worrying at the time they recover fairly quickly - ask his Health visitor about injections - they normally do this if a child has an infection or weakened immune system so I am sure your dd would be fine to have them

gingernut Thu 28-Jul-05 23:46:14

Firstly, you are doing all the right things. My ds1 fell off a changing station at our local swimming pool onto a tiled floor and bumped his head and he was OK (I did the 2-hourly checks too). It all happens so quickly, don't blame yourself.

Chandra Thu 28-Jul-05 23:48:47

She will be fine, I think dropping the baby is an unwelcome milestone for the mother but we all go through it sooner or later. I fell down the stairs with DS on my arms when he was bout 3m old. He fell on his own a couple of months ago, need to say I almost panic when I saw he couldn't move his legs but by the time the ambulance arrived he was fine... he even dare to throw a tantrum because he wanted to come back home also in the ambulance

About the vaccinations tomorrow, I think I would delay them a bit, just to be sure that if there is any change is not owed to the head bump, but considering she hit herself against the mat I would say that she is fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now