Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

M.R.I scans-how long did you/a realtive have to wait for one?

(15 Posts)
dropinthe Thu 28-Jul-05 15:44:31

I need one as dislocated my knee on holiday-was wondering roughly how long I may have to wait as am in agony?

jessicaandbumpsmummy Thu 28-Jul-05 15:58:20

1st on DH had - 3 months
2nd one went private - 4 days!

SofiaAmes Thu 28-Jul-05 21:49:17

dh waited almost a year for a non-urgent one.

Milliways Thu 28-Jul-05 21:58:21

about 3 months here too!

Fimbo Thu 28-Jul-05 22:20:20

I waited 4 months for mine - I had to have it following complications after the birth of ds - I think I was bumped along the queue quicker though as it was a Doctor at the hospital who instigated it rather than my gp.

Yorkiegirl Thu 28-Jul-05 22:22:35

Message withdrawn

Clarinet60 Thu 28-Jul-05 22:30:28

5 months.

dropinthe Fri 29-Jul-05 09:09:16

Anyone else?-am now getting very dispondent-am most deffo non urgent!!

sweetmonkey Fri 29-Jul-05 09:11:37

my stepmum did her shoulder in and had to wait about 18 months for a scan, terrible really.

she then had the op quite quickly after that

dropinthe Fri 29-Jul-05 09:12:29

sweetmonkey Fri 29-Jul-05 09:19:57

sorry about that, my cousin dislocated her knee also at new year and think she is being seen next month, so thats a bit quicker.

the thing that makes me mad, is i know a woman who gets everything handed to her, she not short of money but scrounges for everything,
was told to lose weight so she could have her knee caps replaced but she hasnt done so but her constant nagging has got her the op, not only that but she is being sent to a private hospital so it can be done quicker and reduce the amount of ops at an nhs hospital.
makes me that people like her get everything.

SofiaAmes Fri 29-Jul-05 12:35:39

try working the system. If you truly are in agony. Go to your gp's and ask them to sign you off work until you can have your knee dealt with. If they don't sign you off, just keep making appointments to be seen because of the pain.
You can also try the less confrontational route of calling the hospital and checking for cancellations (I've had good luck with that one). You could also call around hospitals in your area and see if there is one that has a shorter waiting time and request that your gp refer you to that hospital.
At a minimum, before you panic, call up the hospital that you have been referred to and ask what their waiting time is. It really does vary enormously around the country. And I think it's one of the things that supposedly is a known problem and is one of the buzz things that they are trying to deal with.

dropinthe Fri 29-Jul-05 14:56:44

I think my Borough is one of the better ones but I may try the cancelation route-I could go private but am concerned that my travel insurance may not cover it-don't think they are cheap!!

dropinthe Sat 30-Jul-05 12:00:00

Well,what do you know? My scan is on the 18th August!!!!!!!!!!!!!How lucky am I ????

highlander Sat 30-Jul-05 14:45:13

there's a national shortage of Radiologists (doctors) to report the scans. It's a postcode lottery, with the worst place being Northern Ireland.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now