Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

So I went for a smear yesterday......

(14 Posts)
madmarchhare Thu 28-Jul-05 10:38:07

...(thanks to a MN reminder, ta) and it was awful. Its the first one Ive had since having DS and have never had any problems before then, just a quick in and out so to speak.

Doctor was one of those who insisted on talking me through it, but I thought 'just let her get on with it and it'll all be over soon' Oh Noooo, a minute later she popped up and said 'Has anyone ever said anything about your cervix?' What do you say? 'Well, the window cleaner was admiring it the other day' So I slowly said 'No' and waited...and waited...she ummed and aahed a bit and went 'back in'.

Long story short - she said it was anterior and could have moved during pregnancy/birth. A little put out by this point she announced that she was just going to ask a colleague to 'come and have a look'.

As if it couldnt get any worse, my next door neighbours sister walked in! Anyway, 20 minutes later we all managed it. Suffice to say I have very sore bits today and am dreading the next time Im see my neighbour.

Anyone else been told they have an anterior (quite near bladder also) cervix? Any issues later?

moondog Thu 28-Jul-05 10:40:16

OMG!
Cringeing and laughing at the same time for you.
Never mind,its done and dusted (so to speak) now!

sandyballs Thu 28-Jul-05 10:40:21

. Made me laugh though! I'm the same - was told this at my last smear which has been the first since having babies (4.5 years ago ).The nurse had to rummage around quite a bit but thankfully didn't invite any neighbours in .

cori Thu 28-Jul-05 10:42:54

I dont think I have that, but when I had my last smear a few weeks ago the nurse couldnt find my cervix (huh?) and had to go get a doctor to come and have a look.
I have also been told by other medical professionals that my cervix that is very high. They always have time finding it and it always hurts....

gingernut Thu 28-Jul-05 10:53:25

Mmmm, my sympathies. I've never liked them but the first since childbirth was probably the worst. My cervix was apparently `hiding round the back' !?! and I also have a very low pubic arch which makes it difficult to reach. The person doing the smear was a former midwife and although it hurt she was pretty good at finding a way of getting the smear done without it being unbearable. No neighbours present though....just ds1 who decided to utter his first 2-word phrase during the process which at least was a bit of a distraction .

Twiglett Thu 28-Jul-05 11:26:17

sorry but I find that funny

well done for going though

Bethron Thu 28-Jul-05 11:31:07

Message withdrawn

madmarchhare Thu 28-Jul-05 19:12:23

Twig - absolutely, I think so now. It'll be one of those I'll keep rolling out from time to time.

macwoozy Thu 28-Jul-05 19:25:04

No experience, but you've made me laugh - sorry. You've got a great way with words.

madmarchhare Thu 28-Jul-05 21:32:15

Why, thank you very much <Elvis style>

katymac Thu 28-Jul-05 21:47:02

I just got my letter - I'm dreading it - with a partial prolapse and after my tvt op....I don't want anyone rummaging up there

madmarchhare Thu 28-Jul-05 21:57:56

You really must, it was a reminder on here the other day that made me go. I was dreading it it, and even after all that fuss, its done now! Make the appointment tomorrow and report back!

katymac Thu 28-Jul-05 22:40:05

Oh I will - I just think it will hurt lots

vicdubya Thu 28-Jul-05 22:52:40

I found my smear last week (first since having ds) was less uncomfortable than ones I had in the past...in fact I hardly felt it..

I knew my pelvic floor was shot, but

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now