Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Breast lump & Breatsfeeding: URGENT

(32 Posts)
shhhh Wed 27-Jul-05 16:48:18

Advice is needed please (reasurring if possible...) My dd is 10 wks old and i'm still bf her. Last wek while feeding I noticed a lumpish thing in my breast. (When my left hand is cupped under my left breast when offering her a feed I could feel a lump with my thumb..) I have been to the dr who thinks it's a blocked duct and asked me to come back in 2 weeks time to check it again. Anyway not one to leave things I have been referred privatly as the nhs's waiting time is currently 3 weeks. I'm due to see a consultant next thurs and i'm petrified.. Has anyone else experienced this and had a postive outcome? The lump does not hurt, seems to be more noticable once the breast is drained of milk and only when sat up. It's not so obvious when i'm lying down etc. BTW i'm 26.
Please can someone offer me advice prior to my appointment next week.Thanks xx

PS I did post this message the other day but can't find it..sorry if you have already replied to it.xx

NotQuiteCockney Wed 27-Jul-05 16:58:02

It doesn't sound like a blocked duct - blocked ducts are often red and hot, and definately hurt.

Hopefully someone else will have a better idea?

Donbean Wed 27-Jul-05 17:01:32

Sounds like a blocked duct to me too.
At my breast feeding advice group, they recommended massage of the area to disperse the blockage as if it becomes infected i think it can result in mastitis or can develop into a cyst type thing which may mean surgery.
Very common apparently and easily remidied.
Obviously, im not an expert but remember this from then, i hope it helps x

It sounds like you are very worried, are you thinking that it could be some thing more sinister?

NotQuiteCockney Wed 27-Jul-05 17:05:34

It probably is worth massaging it during feeding, and trying different feeding positions, just in case it's a blocked duct. It would save you the hassle of further investigation.

shhhh Wed 27-Jul-05 17:09:04

Thanks for your quick replies. Yes I am very owried and yes I do think it could be something worse.........I so hope it isn't.....
I have tried to massage it but it doesn't seem to make any difference....If it has to be anything I hope it's a harmless cyst. I will try and massage it and to feed in a different position.
Anyone else any advice..?

shhhh Wed 27-Jul-05 17:09:35

Sorry that was meant to read "worried"....Nerves.!

ark Wed 27-Jul-05 17:46:25

No advice but wanted to bump this for you - do let us know how you get on. x

fqueenzebra Wed 27-Jul-05 17:48:52

Lumps under age 30 are virtually always benign (or so I read). Also, with breastfeeding, even if the duct isn't blocked it may just be "full". I really think you haven't anything to worry about, it will probably disappear at some point, but see your GP asap if it helps you worry less.

shhhh Wed 27-Jul-05 18:03:27

will do ark. fqueenzebra, I have seen my doctor who suggested me coming back in 2 weeks time. I asked to be referred as I would rather get this seen to asap. I'm due to be seen next thurs. Thanks for the facts and figures thought. Reasurring....

fqueenzebra Wed 27-Jul-05 18:40:44

I think your GP is taking right actions, "Breast cancer is very rare in women under the age of 40" .

shhhh Wed 27-Jul-05 21:20:25

fqueenzebra thankyou so much for your post. It's helped to ease my mind slightly. I appreciate your help.x

JayJayBump Thu 28-Jul-05 00:00:54

hello, I too discovered a lump myself last year (with green discharge), similar symptoms. Blocked duct. It took 6 visits to my GP and 2 lots of very strong antibiotics before I was referred to someone. Eventually had to go privately as waiting list for this type of problem can be anything upto a year for an op on NHS, and which privately cost an arm & leg (about £1,000). Had an op to remove duct this year. Still having problems with it. Now having spent all our money, now referred back to NHS. May have to have all of the ducts removed. Now trying drug treatment to get rid of the lump.

hope you get on alright.
don't let them fob you off at the GP's.

shhhh Thu 28-Jul-05 20:34:31

Thanks for the advice jayjaybump

Fennel Thu 28-Jul-05 20:59:53

my sister had a lump which came while breastfeeding. eventually she got it checked out, it was a blocked duct. they lanced it and rancid milk poured out (yuk).

Now she's pregnant and it came back again. but she got it checked and it's still to do with milk not cancer - so don't worry it is really likely to be this for you too.

shhhh Fri 29-Jul-05 21:49:03

Thanks for the post fennel. Will let you all know next week.

Cadmum Fri 29-Jul-05 22:01:37

I have a similar lump in my left breast. I discovered it whist pg with DS2. I had stopped BF DD several months earlier so I was very nervous as well. I saw a prof. privately and he confirmed via ultra-sound scan that it was a 'hardened duct'. I had never heard of any such thing until then. The lump is still there and it has neither grown nor shrunk. It did not pose a problem for BF DS2 and I am pg again and hope that I will not have trouble BF this baby either.
HTH and that you have an answer soon.

JOSIE3 Fri 29-Jul-05 22:26:25

I'm sure how helpful this will be as I'm not bf, but....

I found a lump in my breast about 4 months ago and was absolutely terrified. I went to the drs and after an ultra sound and biopsy was found to be an infected cyst. My dr kept reassuring me that women of our age (i'm 28) VERY rarely have anything worse than a cyst. Do let us know how it goes hun, we're thinking of you. xxx

shhhh Fri 29-Jul-05 22:56:11

cadmum, could you feel your's like I could..? Only while holding/cupping your breast while feeding baby? It feels almost as though it's oval in shape..?
Josie3, thanks that is reasurring..madness but I can't stop worrying about it...At least I have done all I can do and as quick as I can...Going privatly has made sure I get seen 2 weeks earlier than if I did on nhs. A joke really but I don't fancy waiting any longer. Dh keeps reasurring me which makes me feel positive. Thanks for all your advice & well wishes. xx

morocco Fri 29-Jul-05 23:00:12

whreabouts is the lump shhhh? is it near your armpit or actually in your breast?

Cadmum Fri 29-Jul-05 23:53:17

It is on the underside of my breast about two fingers down from my areola. I need only prod gently to find it. I would say that to my fingers it does feel like an ovoid but the Drs assured me that it is actally no bigger than a grain of rice. It just feels bigger because of the fat and skin on top. HTH.

I really do feel for you as I remember the worry that I felt when I discovered the lump.

Keep asking questions and try not to worry too much.

Cadmum Fri 29-Jul-05 23:55:26

I assume that you have been feeling well...

shhhh Sat 30-Jul-05 10:08:44

Cadmum & morocco thanks for your replies. Its on the top part of my breast about 3 fingers from my areola...around where my breast goes round iykwim..Not near my armpit.
I feel fine carmum...??

Cadmum Sat 30-Jul-05 16:40:01

I am sorry for asking what seemed like a silly question with no follow-up.

I was just remembering having an abcess whilst BF DS2... I felt fine by the time there was an abcess but I knew that I had mastitis in the weeks before... A long shot but I have mummy and pregnancy brain... sorry.

I hope that you are coping with the worry. I do think that going privately is the right thing to do when you are concerned about any health issue.

As I said earlier, feel free to keep asking questions...

shhhh Sat 30-Jul-05 19:19:12

No worries cadmum. Don't think it is mastitis as the area is not red or tender etc like I thought it would be if it was.
Yeah it is a constant worry but like you said at least I am doing all I can quickly and also going private is giving me some peace of mind quicker than on nhs.

Cadmum Sat 30-Jul-05 21:30:42

Wish I could be more helpful...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now