Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Son has a big hole in his tooth!!

(15 Posts)
AnotherHelen Tue 26-Jul-05 13:24:53

My son is just 5 and i always made sure he brushes his teeth morning and night, he did have 'issues' with brushing his teeth about a year or so ago, and he just would not let me do it or him do it for AGES, i couldnt even get near him! he has recently had another bout of this refusal to brush his teeth and the other day i finally talked him round and while brushing his teeth i noticed one of his double teeth right at the back of his mouth has a HUGE hole in the middle! - it has basically just left the edge around the tooth and the whole middle is a decayed mess - its a very big hole! i thought it had chocolate in the middle so i brushed it, and it made it bleed quite alot and the dark satin in the middle of his tooth which i thought was chocolate never brushed away so it is obviously decay - and alot of it! I tried to not make a fuss about it as ds would have gone nuts! im really worried though as it looks like it should be giving him agony - i expect it will do soon! - he really really will not go to the dentist as i have tried him with that before, he's been coming with me since he was tiny but its made no difference, im scared it might turn infected or something, im not sure if it could but it looks so aweful! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what i could do?? I expect him to start screaming with it any day!!!!! I feel like such a crap mother for letting my 5 year olds tooth get like that!

SoupDragon Tue 26-Jul-05 13:26:10

You have to take him to the dentist.

tiffini Tue 26-Jul-05 13:27:37

He must see a dentist, there is nothing else you can do.

triceratops Tue 26-Jul-05 13:29:28

If he goes to the dentist they may not necessarily need to drill. As the tooth only has to last another couple of years they may be able to seal it with a plastic coat (no needles and no pain). The back teeth are the most important in dental terms as they hold the space needed for the new teeth to come through. Good Luck.

Dahlia Tue 26-Jul-05 13:30:36

You really must take him to the dentist. My dd1 has had lots of teeth problems and has had 3 (!) teeth out - all first teeth thank goodness, the first two they took out together under general anaesthetic and the other one was done with just an injection at the dentists. My dd is extremely frightened of the dentist and of injections, and the one she had out with just a local was awful, she screamed and sobbed and it was very traumatic (she was about 7 I think) but the two that were done under general was much easier. Perhaps you could go with that option? But you should act soon before it starts to hurt him. I used lots of bribery which worked a treat, and as they were about to give her the general I thrust a lovely new cuddly toy at her which helped.

serenity Tue 26-Jul-05 13:32:19

Ditto with the bad mother feeling, DS2 who is 5 as well has to have 4 fillings next week, with drill apparently. He brushes his teeth twice a day, they don't eat that many sweets and if they do eat something sticky I make them brush afterwards, but I still feel awful

WigWamBam Tue 26-Jul-05 13:34:44

He has to go to the dentist to save further problems now and in the future. You say he will not go - but I'm afraid it's one of those things that has to be non-negotiable. As is you helping him to clean his teeth - children under 6 aren't capable of cleaning their teeth properly on their own without adult help.

AnotherHelen Tue 26-Jul-05 13:50:48

I know it sounds a little crap of me but i really have no idea how i would get him to the dentist, like i said he has come with me since he was little and the last time he came with me was about 6 weeks ago and he is fine, but whenever i have suggested he sits in the chair just to have a ride or something he absolutley goes bonkers! he just keeps backing off and saying no, he goes quickly from a scared NO to a terrified and screaming NO NO NO!!! i doubt i could get him in the chair and if i did theres no way the dentist would get ner him! - they must have ways of getting round this though????? and do they loose ther back teeth?? my mum says they do and my dp says they dont?? god i sound like such a dumb-ass!! sorry! he has never had alot of sugery foods/drinks either as he is very sensitive to sugar and goes hyper if he has any so i cant understand how its got so bad!

fastasleep Tue 26-Jul-05 13:53:49

They do lose them but if it gets infected, one - he's going to be in agony, and two - the infection could spread and do nasty things to his other teeth and even enter his blood stream (you don't want to know about that!!) ...you're just going to have to make him go to the dentists, even if he has to be held down

If it doesn't get fixed properly it could mess with his teeth coming through later too

AnotherHelen Tue 26-Jul-05 13:53:58

WigWamBam without sounding like a nutter i have a bit of a fettish with cleaning teeth! i have always done ds's teeth up until he just went bonkers at me and wouldnt let me near him with a toothbrush (no idea why) i have also always done ds2's teeth myself as that way i know they are done properly! and he has gorgeous teeth all of them!! i obviously should have done more to make ds1 have his teeth brushed!

WigWamBam Tue 26-Jul-05 13:54:56

Sorry, but there's no two ways about it - he must go, whether he screams the place down or not. Think how much worse he will be if you wait until it hurts him.

They lose all of their teeth, including the back ones.

fastasleep Tue 26-Jul-05 13:55:18

Don't feel guilty, a lot of first teeth have the crappiest enamel known to mankind and anything can make them decay...

I'm sorry you're going to have to be 'evil mummy'!

AnotherHelen Tue 26-Jul-05 13:57:35

fastasleep - i never thought of it like that! i know if it gets into his bloodstream thats a whole different and very serious issue!! i guess i will just have to make him! are they too young at 5 to have any gas to help them? i really think they will have a problem otherwise! he is a very stubborn kid and i pitty anyone who takes him on!

fastasleep Tue 26-Jul-05 14:03:33

I think they can have gas, I had it at about 7 yrs old.... I hope it goes better than you think it will, didn't mean to scare you with the bloodstream thing!

AnotherHelen Tue 26-Jul-05 14:09:24

Its ok fastasleep, i hate anything to do with teeth - which may be where ds gets it from! so pretty much anything to do with teeth feaks me out abit! i hope it goes better than i think too! i think i best go and call dentist and see if they can get him in! fingers crossed! thanks for all your help girls! was feeling pretty worked up about it! xxxxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now