Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What is water retention?

(14 Posts)
lovecloud Tue 26-Jul-05 13:22:29

Hello

I think I might have it.

What is it?

What causes it?

Can it go away by itself or do you have to treat it?

I have grown a firm high belly and I have tested neg with pregnancy tests and wonder if this is the cause. I have not put any weight on and have actually lost weight recently, my tummy has been like this for over two weeks, no other parts of my body are swollen.

I would appreciate any replies.

Thank you x

lovecloud Tue 26-Jul-05 13:29:03

bump

marne Tue 26-Jul-05 13:32:02

Hi i get water retention, i always find it worse in the aftanoon, i wake up looking nice and slim and go to bed looking like a bloater. Not realy sure what causes it. it can be realy uncomfortable and it makes you look pregnant (well it does me) but when i wake up in the morning it has gone.

PandaBear Tue 26-Jul-05 13:32:51

could just be bloating. Perhaps you are intolerant to something you are eating - maybe wheat - this is a common sign of this.

lovecloud Tue 26-Jul-05 13:38:58

Could I just develop this reaction to wheat?

Hope not - could not imagine a wheat free diet, what a pain!!! My mother thinks I am over the top as it is with food...

Toothache Tue 26-Jul-05 13:40:51

lovecloud - Yes you can just develop it at any age unfortunately, like any allergy/intolerance. Its tomatoes for me!!

Lizzylou Tue 26-Jul-05 13:42:01

Try eating watercress, thats supposed to help ease water retention..........

PandaBear Tue 26-Jul-05 13:42:35

Might be worthwhile getting tested - could be nothing or it could be something completely different you are intolerant too.

Toothache Tue 26-Jul-05 13:47:34

Lovecloud - They just give you a blood test.... however I waited 9 months for mine!! Ah, the NHS.

blondehelen Tue 26-Jul-05 13:48:28

I'm sure its nothing to worry about, but I think you should see your GP, especially if it is that significant. Are your clothes fitting a problem now?

lovecloud Tue 26-Jul-05 16:18:42

my trousers are all hipsters and my clothes all fir except they are noticeably tighter around my tummy.

I had to change my tshirts a few times today to find one that went right over.

Someone suggested eating watercress, funny you should say that I had it with a sandwich yesterday and today in a pitta with houmous, ham and salad - rather tasty! Dont think its helped my tummy though.

It is only the centre of my tummy that is swollen, not the whole way around.

I will call my gp.

lovecloud Tue 26-Jul-05 16:22:55

Just left message for gp to call me back, the one who saw me last week is now on holiday so i will have to speak to the moody one who makes you feel so guilty if you got to the surgery and you are not half dead. He told my friend off for going about her severe migraines...

He will probably say its all in my head.

Lets see...

lovecloud Tue 26-Jul-05 17:54:04

Still waiting for gp to call back, the more I wait the more I feel I am wasting his time.

I just practiced what I would say to him and it sounds so stupid, he makes me so nervous that I will probably shorten everything and really make myself sound like a nutter...

Maybe I should call to say dont worry about it but then I will carry on moaning on here.

Toothache Thu 28-Jul-05 09:17:18

LC - What did the Doc say and how are you today?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now