Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Cancer diet

(46 Posts)
ggglimpopo Tue 26-Jul-05 10:38:41

Message withdrawn

PollyLogos Tue 26-Jul-05 10:42:42

Very sorry to hear about your friend. The Bristol Cancer Centre does a lot of work with special diets. I'll try to find their website for you.

GhostofNatt Tue 26-Jul-05 10:42:53

gglimpopo, how awful for you and your friends, not much time to post now but will try more later. A friend of mine has been fighting secondary liver cancer (but not secondary to lung)- he has been on a macrobiotic diet - also has been on a healing ergime which i will try to find out more about and post later. xxx
There is also a regime involving fruit juice and colonic irrigation which my friend has nto tried which i will try to remember the name of...

Marina Tue 26-Jul-05 10:44:51

gggl, these are the people who sprang to mind when I read your post:
Bristol Cancer Centre info on juicing
It might be worth contacting them in general to see what other advice they can offer.
I am so very sorry to hear about your friends. What miserable luck for them both after the death of a child
did you come across this UK-based resource in your googling btw?
BACUP This page has their Eating Well section with diets and advice for cancer patients.

PollyLogos Tue 26-Jul-05 10:46:11

Bristol Cancer Help Centre

ggglimpopo Tue 26-Jul-05 10:49:57

Message withdrawn

Hausfrau Tue 26-Jul-05 10:50:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fio2 Tue 26-Jul-05 11:05:41

its macrobiotic, a bit similar to what is in the 'you are what you eat" books

ggglimpopo Tue 26-Jul-05 11:11:58

Message withdrawn

Fio2 Tue 26-Jul-05 11:14:33

I know gglimpopo, life is just bloody cruel to some people and others dont even know they are born

ggglimpopo Tue 26-Jul-05 11:33:18

Message withdrawn

Hausfrau Tue 26-Jul-05 12:23:12

ggglimpopo Tue 26-Jul-05 12:31:12

Message withdrawn

renaldo Tue 26-Jul-05 18:50:24

I know you really want to do something to help but from personal experience it is very tiring to be given lots of well meant advice when seriously ill, is there anything else you could do to support them emotionally?

Jimjams Tue 26-Jul-05 18:58:14

this article is about a diet involving juicing Apparently it takes a team of volunteers to do realistically.

006 Tue 26-Jul-05 19:33:21

happymerryberries Tue 26-Jul-05 19:37:23

The BACUP stuff is excellent and doing anything at an awful time like this feels better than doing nothing IYSWIM

mancmum Tue 26-Jul-05 20:20:44

note of caution... no diet has ever been proven to beat lung cancer -- it is one of the worst cancers to get... please balance up the stress and trauma of a new diet on top of the treatment in terms of what it will do for your friend...unlikely to add much extra time... sorry to be depressing but lung and liver cancer is not going to be cured by a diet... if it was, it would be mainstream cure...

Heathcliffscathy Tue 26-Jul-05 20:44:44

glimmm, there was an amazing article that reduced me to tears in the observer magazine a couple of weeks ago by a woman that has written a book all about what people can do for you that actually helps when diagnosed with serious/terminal cancer.

i'm desp trying to find it...be back...

Heathcliffscathy Tue 26-Jul-05 20:47:19

here it is!

Pollyanna Tue 26-Jul-05 20:47:26

I think it's by Deborah Hutton Sophable.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 26-Jul-05 20:49:27

and here is the book itself on amazon france website

Heathcliffscathy Tue 26-Jul-05 20:50:07

all royalties go to macmillan cancer relief. more for you than him maybe...or for wife...but i thought i'd post the article anyway as was so moving.

happymerryberries Tue 26-Jul-05 20:52:21

Great article Sophiable.

Can I echo one thing on the article, there are few things worse for the family of a cancer patient than having to cheer other people along. Whe dh fist had both his cancer diagnosis (two separate unrealted ones! Sheesh his luck!) the worst thing was hen I used to have to spend time cheering other people along. Now that realy did suck!

Heathcliffscathy Tue 26-Jul-05 20:57:04

it's wonderful isn't it. i just cried and cried cause she sounds great and loves them all so much and is so palpably loved by them all....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: