Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Calcium citrate supplements for toddlers? Any ideas

(5 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Tue 26-Jul-05 09:25:48

My ds has a problem with calcium intake (off milk) and has leaky gut.

any ideas on what u.k. brands there are of calcium citrate with magnesium or even just calcium in a form kids could take? Tried Holland and Barrett and no such. Just pills, but not chewy ones.
thanks in advance

aloha Tue 26-Jul-05 09:53:13

Your ds could take Osteocare liquid - it is suitable from six months and is given by spoon.
And of course, lots of sunshine for vitamin D.

aloha Tue 26-Jul-05 09:53:51

I think Osteocare contains calcium carbonate, but it's still calcium. Not sure why you want citrate.

aloha Tue 26-Jul-05 09:55:20

What is the source of calcium used in Osteocare® ?
The calcium in Osteocare® is in the form of calcium carbonate, which provides the highest concentration of elemental calcium possible in a supplement. This means that Osteocare® can provide the full RDA of calcium and other minerals without the need to take lots of tablets. The calcium carbonate used is of high pharmaceutical grade from a natural source. To prevent possible contamination with metals such as lead, oyster calcium and bone-dolomite have not been included in the Osteocare® formulation.[Top]

Can calcium supplements like Osteocare® cause kidney stones?
It is important to select a calcium supplement such as Osteocare® , which includes calcium in combination with other synergistic co-factors such as magnesium. The presence of the mineral magnesium, as well as being an important nutrient for the maintenance of healthy bones, is also scientifically known to help reduce the risk of calcium stone formation. [Top]

ruty Tue 26-Jul-05 10:16:51

aloha thanks for that n- my ds's dietician couldn't think of an appropriate calcium supplement for him! Will look for osteocare liquid, haven't seen it in Boots. Mamadadawah, ifyou don't mind me asking, how did you find out your ds has leaky gut? Did you do the Sunderland test?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now