Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Constant coughing

(5 Posts)
kbaby Sun 24-Jul-05 21:48:42

I had a chest infection last year which has left me with a constant dry cough. I also started having wheezing attacks. Ive seen a consultant who said that it could be a slycalate allergy. He tested me for asthma etc but I was fine. However in May and again this week I have had such bad wheezing that I felt I couldnt beath properly, its very wheezy and nisy. I saw a out of hours gp who put me on the nebuliser which worked. My own gp has given me steroids and antibiotics. I now have a very chesty cough(no phglem)
Anyone have any ideas why I am coughing all the time? I dont think its a allergy as I have tried eating foods very high in salycylates and then been fine. Im due to see the consultant again and im worried encase its something he isnt picking up. I am really fed up with the cough but dont know how to tell him that I want it sorting now!

fqueenzebra Sun 24-Jul-05 22:02:22

how did the consultant rule out asthma, kbaby? It's such a broad term that it basically means any respiratory restriction not otherwise caused by a short-term curable cause... and that does sound exactly like how you are now....

PeachyClair Sun 24-Jul-05 22:11:57

When DS1 got his asthma diagnosis I was told that there was no way of diagnosing per se, it was just on likelihood basis.

throckenholt Mon 25-Jul-05 08:06:21

my DH gets that sort of thing - usually following a cold - often persisting for weeks.

Last time he went to the gp and was given an inhaler - "just in case" - if it helped then he had asthma (to some extent anyway). It does help - therefore we assume the cough is asthma related. He has family history of allergies (asthma, excema and hay fever).

jalopy Mon 25-Jul-05 08:59:29

Do you think the dry atmosphere might be exacerbating your cough and wheeze? If so, try a humidifier in your bedroom at night and see if this eases the problem. Hope you feel better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now