Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had experience of lump on neck?

(6 Posts)
lovecloud Thu 21-Jul-05 19:37:39

My mum called an hour ago to say she was taking my brother to A&E, our gp told her to take him after he examined him today. He has a large munp on his neck which was the size of a pea last week and he has had a lump in his testicles for awhile. He is a typical teenager and it has taken ages for my mum to get him to the docs today, i dont want to think of worse situation. what els could these lumps be - glands maybe?
If there is anything seriously wromg with him then he wont be able to cope. He is an addict and cant cope with any kind of stress. I want soemthing to be slightly wrong with him but treatable but enough to scare him into thinking about the way he abuses his body. I have talked on mumsnet before about his addiction but under a different name. Teenages especially addicts think their invincable - i just hope he is ok.

fisil Thu 21-Jul-05 19:41:41

I had a lump on my neck in my early 20s when a student. It was apparently my lymph node, and it was a glandular thing.

GetOrlaithOut Thu 21-Jul-05 19:44:11

Hmm, do you want reassurance and/or truth? I can give you a positive story and one not so...

lovecloud Thu 21-Jul-05 19:52:37

Hello G.O.O.

Not sure what I want, be interested in hearing both though.

GetOrlaithOut Thu 21-Jul-05 19:55:29

OK, well I think a lump in the neck can be any number of things.

My boyfriend at uni (well through A levels and Uni - together 5 yrs) got a lump in his neck and he had Hodgkin's disease/lymphoma. I can't remember how quickly the lump grew though.

A few yrs later I had exactly the same thing, was terrified (obviously) and had it removed - like fisil, it was just a lymph node that had reacted and had not gone down again. They think it was toxoplasmosis caught from a cat!

I really hope it isn't anything serious.

lovecloud Thu 21-Jul-05 20:33:41

Some guy who i lived with in a house share had a cancerous lump in his neck in his late teens through to earlt twenties. he had the whole treatment and got through it.

glad to hear you did too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now