Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I stopped smoking yesterday and already I'm.....

(20 Posts)
peckarollover Tue 19-Jul-05 20:38:02

....missing the little white sticks of pleasure

Ive got my patch on and still craving like mad.

Im reading as much anti smoking info as I can but even that just leaves me thinking "Yes, but i would just love one more,ahhhhhhhhhh imagine the release if I had one - why am I stopping anyway. Could start again for a while and stop soon"

I KNOW its bollox and I need to stop but I feel really quite low about not being a smoker anymore

WHY?

marne Tue 19-Jul-05 20:40:04

I gave up 3 days ago, well done for stoping, keep it up.

WideWebWitch Tue 19-Jul-05 20:41:04

Because it's a drug
But it'll all be out of your system in 3 days and it will ease
The pangs didn't even wake you up when you were a smoker so they can't have been that strong
basically I am quoting Allen Carr, read it, good stuff. I have a spare copy if you want to send me an sae (I know that's the only way I'll get round to putting it in an envelope). I will keep my dad's copy (died, lung cancer, 2001, at the age of 59) and let you have mine if you want it. I gave up March 03 and don't regret it a bit.

WideWebWitch Tue 19-Jul-05 20:41:34

But I do understand the first few days are hard.

emkana Tue 19-Jul-05 20:42:24

I would really recommend alan carr as well, really helps to turn around the way you think about smoking.

peckarollover Tue 19-Jul-05 20:45:56

I think I need allan carr. I dont have many physical cravings with the patches its my brain that is playing tricks on me i think.

WWW thank you for the offer but think I need immediate attention so will get one tomorrow.

Also, sorry to hear about your dad.

xxx

WideWebWitch Tue 19-Jul-05 20:46:58

Oh don't worry, I just put that in to shock and incentivise you Pecka! Yes, get one, best money you'll ever spend.

charliecat Tue 19-Jul-05 21:00:41

www.whyquit.com go read there well done you, many people dont muster up the strenght to try. Come and rant at the nonsmoking thread on Health.

tillykins Tue 19-Jul-05 21:04:04

WELL DONE!!!!!!!
Thats really really good that you made the decision to be a non-smoker.
Think baby steps. Just get through this hour, then this day, don't think any further

It gets better, really it does - every day is one day further away from all those chemicals, one more day of being a non smoker

Keep going, keep going! You are on the way to being FREEEEEE!

peckarollover Tue 19-Jul-05 22:43:54

Thats the thing I find it hard thinking "one day closer to being a non smoker" as at the moment a non smoker isnt what i want to be lol

sobernow Tue 19-Jul-05 23:27:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

peckarollover Wed 20-Jul-05 10:05:35

I got threw last night even with some friends round, one of them a very heavy smoker!

Craving again at the moment I really would LOVE to have one but going to keep talking myself out of it.

Must get allan carr today

charliecat Wed 20-Jul-05 10:06:33

good stuff, this is all mental torture designed to make you smoke..get past it and you will be so so so pleased with yourself.

peckarollover Wed 20-Jul-05 10:19:53

will i really stop longing to be a smoker?

george32 Wed 20-Jul-05 10:27:39

You already are a non-smoker just by stopping!!
Agree that Allen Carr is the best book to read to help you. It makes you realise that you really aren't giving anything up - there isn't really any pleasure that you gain by smoking, it's just a drug.

Keep going, you are nearly through the worst of it and the cravings really do go.

(20 a day girl til last Dec)

merglemergle Wed 20-Jul-05 10:38:58

think its 3 days to get chemicals out of system but then its all the firsts eg 1st time at pub. Just keep going, do it a minute at a time if need be. There WILL come a point where you don't get what all the fuss is about.

Also-hardly anyone, and definately not an ex-smoker can smoke "just socially" or have the odd one, so don't go down this slippery path.

I smoked from 13-23. 5 years later do not miss it-in fact HATE secondhand smoke and am shocked by selfishness of some smokers. One smoker makes a whole cafe stink for eveyone-I am SO embarassed that this was once often me.

mummylonglegs Wed 20-Jul-05 10:44:00

Message deleted

charliecat Wed 20-Jul-05 10:54:04

Have a read at this

WideWebWitch Wed 20-Jul-05 13:22:14

Pecka, you will stop longing to be a smoker, if I can, anyone can (dedicated 30/40 a day from age 17-36).

Franniban Thu 21-Jul-05 23:02:02

Keep it up Peckar, I' really recommend Allen Carr, I stopped smoking a year ago the begining of August, and I used to smoke 20/30 a day. This book is fantastic, but you do have to want to do it. Good luck, it really is worth it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now