Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

small burn blister on 10 month's finger - help!

(5 Posts)
fairycakes Tue 19-Jul-05 17:58:12

dd is 10 months, yesterday she touched my hair straighteners which were off but still hot (yes, i am a bad mother i know, but it was a complicated accident please dont condemn me!)

at the time, i didnt know where she was burnt as didnt see her do it. tried to run her hads under cold water but was a struggle holding her over sink while she screamed and wriggled and squirmed. anyway today she has a blister on her finger tip which is quite big. can i do anything? is this normal? (never seen a burn or burnt myself before) what should i do if it bursts? she seems ok, but is quite wingy today dont know if this is related

will check replies later as dp off out to work now so need to give her all my attention, but thanks for any help or advice you may offer!

x

fairycakes Tue 19-Jul-05 17:58:43

ps she has just started crawling so i am worried blister will burst as she is putting pressure on hads to crawl

basketcase Tue 19-Jul-05 18:03:44

It is normal for a burn to blister, especially on young skin. When my DD1 burnt her hand (fairly badly - most of her poor little palm but fairly superficial) she had it dressed in hospital to keep it clean and was given calpol for 24 hours for basic pain relief. The blisters went down easily and a month or so on you would never know that there had ever been anything wrong.
Without seeing the blister, it is hard to judge. If you are concerned, perhaps ring your surgery tomorrow and ask the nurse to check and dress it as children play with things like blisters and likely to pop it. It is better not to let it pop if you can as it is more prone to infection, but not the end of the world if it does - just needs careful watching to keep it clean and dry.
HTH

fairycakes Tue 19-Jul-05 23:08:30

thanks, i wsnt sure if it should be dresses or if a burn is one of those things that needs air to heal. also wasnt sure if calpol would help but think i will give that a go tomorrow if she still crying thanks x

katymac Tue 19-Jul-05 23:17:08

Put some lavender oil on it - it will help and next time (there is always a next time - honest) put the lavender on as soon as it happens it takes the blistering away. Calpol should help

If I remember my first aid if blisters are amaller than the child's palm then it's OK (just watch for infection)

Accidents happen - you can't prevent them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now