Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Tooth decay - beware dried fruit and fruit juice!

(45 Posts)
Janh Tue 19-Jul-05 09:44:39

I always knew about raisins but not about things like dried banana!

Raisin consciousness

gingerbear Tue 19-Jul-05 09:59:27

I am middle class according to the article's definition.
But with chav tendencies as I allow sweets and lurid pink toothpaste.

I have to wrestle DD and use a Half Nelson to clean her teeth properly.

QueenOfQuotes Tue 19-Jul-05 10:00:16

boy was I glad to read this

"If they are going to have confectionery, it is better to sit them down with a pile of sweets and let them scoff the lot rather than having one every half an hour."

AS DS's will each have one of those little packs of Haribo sweets (the 10p packs because I'm tight ) after I've picked up DS from nursery - they're usually all gone in the space of 5 minutes and that's their sweet intake for the day (usually)

pinkmama Tue 19-Jul-05 10:04:47

I didnt know about any of the dried fruit! I was horrified when dd had a filling at 4 years old. Dentist blamed all the apple juice I had given her, and said I had done worse thing by not letting her have a straw. I innocently thought I straw would just concentrate juice onto teeth, but apparently it helps the juice bypass teh teeth. Now I read that I realise that I also gave her loads of dried apricots thinking I was being a good mummy. Motherhood is a never ending journey of guilt and failure!

fqueenzebra Tue 19-Jul-05 10:10:15

I kind of knew about this stuff but good to be reminded...

Not sure why anyone would name their child after a brand of margerine, though.

I can't get 3yo DD to open her mouth for the dentist, so who knows what horrors may lurk in there. Dentist is very happy with the 5yo's teeth, at least.

tatt Tue 19-Jul-05 10:18:18

I'm the mother who always takes straws to the school parties, since they will insist on giving fizzy drinks I only found out about the things in the article after the fillings .........

What the article doesn't say is that white bread isn't too brilliant either as the starch is easily converted to sugar. In fact I'd have been better giving the kids chocolate than the "healthy" snacks I fed them. Carrot sticks and cheese are the best snacks and (for other families ) nuts for children past 5.

expatinscotland Tue 19-Jul-05 10:20:20

My child is a grazer. Always has been. She's the daughter of two grazers, in fact. So the 'no snacking' is out. She does love her oatcakes and chunks of cheese, though.

And we use Milk Teeth on her twice a day.

She does drink fruit juice, but only 1 oz. to 9 oz. of water.

Janh Tue 19-Jul-05 10:21:44

It's neat juice that's the problem, epis - diluted 1:9 can't possibly do any damage!

handlemecarefully Tue 19-Jul-05 10:22:01

I'm making an informed decision to continue with the fruit juice, raisins and dried apricots and chance the tooth decay.

Dd and ds just don't eat enough fruit and veggies otherwise - although it is consistently offered.

expatinscotland Tue 19-Jul-05 10:23:16

Neat juice gives her the burps. She doesn't seem to live stuff that's overly sweet, although she does enjoy yogurt and fruit as a 'pudding' after meals.

fqueenzebra Tue 19-Jul-05 10:24:06

my teeth get all grotty after eating white bread or other stuff with white flour in it, so that makes sense, tatt...

Calista Tue 19-Jul-05 10:45:27

I've read conflicting advice several times on what toothpaste to use for children under 5 - some say adult toothpaste unless your water is fluoridated (is that a real word or have I just made it up?!), but others say special children's toothpaste with a lower level of fluoride because of the amount they tend to swallow.

Does anyone know what the current official advice is on this?

Fennel Tue 19-Jul-05 10:54:03

Calista there are two strongly opposed views on the fluoride debate so you won't get one clear message.

the woman writing that raisin article could have been me a year ago. when my dd1 had two fillings also due to fruit juice and dried fruit.

it's as she says in the last paragraph, you have to trade healthy eating against healthy dental eating. what's good in general for children's bodies is not always good for their teeth. sometimes you just want to give up even trying really.....

saadia Tue 19-Jul-05 11:02:23

Thanks for that info Janh, dh is obsessed with cleaning ds's teeth as he himself had terrible teeth at a really young age due to sugar consumption. This child-rearing business really is a minefield.

emily05 Tue 19-Jul-05 11:05:26

I never knew this and ds has a lot of apricots and raisins! Blimey.

What toothpaste is ok then? so confusing all this!

flowerfairy Tue 19-Jul-05 19:45:09

At the last baby clinic i went to there was someone from the dental service talking to us. The area I live in is a bad area for tooth decay and I was told that the only suitable snacks were fresh fruit and cheese, bread sticks or other savoury items, with sweets given at mealtimes. Water or milk to drink, juice at mealtimes.

She also said that there was no need to use the baby toothpaste and you should use a toothpaste with either 1000 ppm fluoride, if you check the back of toothpaste boxes you can find it, we were given a list alot of the supermarket bargain ranges have this quantity.

REading this back she sounds a right Hitler.lol.

Heathcliffscathy Tue 19-Jul-05 20:10:32

i was under the hippydippy impression that flouride is a toxin and shouldn't be given to children at all....

i use tangerine flavoured organic stuff with none in, so shoot me

fqueenzebra Tue 19-Jul-05 20:43:54

Emily05: i use a mix of the baby stuff (reckon the official govt. advice is about in the middle of the controversary) or the 1000 ppm stuff (because apparently it won't hurt them unless they are drinking fluoridated water (west midlands)).

KBear Tue 19-Jul-05 20:48:08

While we're on the subject of teeth - a slight hijack if I may.....

DD is six. The Colgate toothpaste her and DS (3) use is for 0-6. She wants to know what toothpaste she will use when she's 7. (You KNOW how they are!!!!). Anyway, I said she could use ours but it's too minty for her. What can you get after the 0-6 toothpastes then? She wants a minty one not strawberry (ugh) flavour. Ideas please! Toothy

MascaraOHara Tue 19-Jul-05 20:50:37

OMG I didn't know dried fruit was bad and I always choose fruit juice

fqueenzebra Tue 19-Jul-05 20:50:53

I hate strong toothpaste flavours, too... I get the "mild" version of aquafresh... would that be too minty for her?

Janh Tue 19-Jul-05 20:51:38

If you can find it get Boots Smile, with a crocodile on the tube, for age 6+ - it's called applemint, is very mild (but not appley!) and has less fluoride than adult paste. DS2 really likes it, but my Boots hasn't had it in when I've looked recently

Alternatively Aquafresh in the green tube (mildmint) was always acceptable to my strongmintophobe although he has finally agreed to use the blue one which everybody else uses.

Janh Tue 19-Jul-05 20:52:03

snap, Z

Janh Tue 19-Jul-05 20:54:28

Phew, they still do it . Must just be my ropey local shop!

snafu Tue 19-Jul-05 20:54:44

Aaaah, more guilt - excellent! lol at 'raisin consciousness', jan

I did sort-of know this stuff about raisins (courtesy of MN, I believe) but think you have to pick your battles with regards to food/health/tooth decay. I would still rather ds was snacking on dried apricots or raisins than sweets. (But isn't it pretty obvious that dried banana chunks are Sugar City?)

But I do always dilute fruit juice and ds demnds to 'do teeeef' approx 76 times a day [rolls eyes] so, on balance...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now