Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ok, is it my age, or is it post birth related?

(18 Posts)
DelGirl Mon 18-Jul-05 21:18:10

This is starting to get on my nerves. I'm sure I read something on here a while back but i;ve searched the archives and found zilch.

Ok, since DD was born i've had real aching feet and ankles. When I get up in the m,orning i'm really stiff and if i;ve been on the sofa for too long, when I get up, it's hard to walk sometimes. I must look about 80 . I wonder if it's post birth related, plus i'm breast feeding and obviously sitting around more. Anyone else had this?

wordsmith Mon 18-Jul-05 21:20:56

How old are you delgirl? I get this all the time
. I'm 43 but not bfing or anything, just sit at a desk a lot. But I hobble like an old-un when I get up from the sofa.

DelGirl Mon 18-Jul-05 21:25:58

39 worsdmith. its more painful than an ache, just stiffness I suppose, hard to explain really

DelGirl Mon 18-Jul-05 21:27:13

I have always been prone to weak ankles but never like this. Beforfe I had dd I was told I was going through early menopause so maybe thats got something to do with it

miffy2 Mon 18-Jul-05 21:28:55

delgirl,

yes I had this for a while after having each of my children. I did read an explanation somewhere but my nappy brain forbids me from remembering.

It dows go away with time. If I can remember the reason I was given I will post again.

DelGirl Mon 18-Jul-05 21:31:54

thanks miffy. I know I read something on here, but I cant find anything now

wordsmith Mon 18-Jul-05 21:33:49

Do your heels hurt when you walk after sitting down for a while? I've just got that recently and wondered what it was.

madrush Mon 18-Jul-05 21:36:40

I hadn't thought of this in ages, but you've reminded me that I had it for a long time after dd was born - she's nearly 2 now and I can't remember when it disappeared but probably at least a year ago (which coincides with when I stopped breastfeeding).

DelGirl Mon 18-Jul-05 21:37:06

yep, just lower limbs really. I've got my sis staying with me at the mo and she just laughs. I don't think my weight helps either (i've got a few pounds to shift!)

Kittypickle Mon 18-Jul-05 21:48:38

No, not your age,have a look at this My feet were agony after DS, I was beginning to wonder whether I had arthritis at one point and felt like an old woman hobbling around, my knee hurt as well. Hope apart from looking about 80 you and DD are well - I am going to get round to ringing you soon - we have to keep the phone hidden from DS so it's not as straight forward any more !

DelGirl Mon 18-Jul-05 21:53:31

Hi KP, I was just thinking about you . Hope you're ok. Sorry you can't make this Thursday, its just an excuse for a get together really and a glass of wine, so if you change your mind?! Want to ask you about the stones too as my sis has been told she might have them too. btw, i'm doing a mini iq party on the 4th of August (I know I'm bonkers but DD is now usually asleep by 7.30). I need to start a thread about it.

Anyway, yes, arthritis sounds like it, I will take a look at the link, thanks

DelGirl Mon 18-Jul-05 21:54:42

will just read it now - you clever thing you

cas73 Mon 18-Jul-05 22:01:51

I had it too after having dd1. It lasted about a month, and it took me about 10 mins to be able to walk properly after getting up in the morning. I did actually start wondering if I had arthritis as well!!!!

fqueenzebra Tue 19-Jul-05 10:26:35

I think weak ankles is sometimes because of weak ligaments (in the ankle joint). Pregnancy & childbirth hormones stretch & weaken your ligaments, so kind of fits together???

Kittypickle Tue 19-Jul-05 12:18:20

I'm ever so sorry but I've got something on Thursday night DelGirl. We're away 30th July to 6 August so won't be around for your Mini IQ party either (and yes you are mad ) Shall we get on email and sort out a time to meet up soon though ?

Toothache Tue 19-Jul-05 12:25:35

Delgirl - I'm 27 and my dd is nearly a year old.... and I still feel like this!

fisil Tue 19-Jul-05 12:37:36

Delgirl - I had it like you're describing for about 6 months after ds1. This time it hasn't been so bad, but I know what you mean. For me this time it has been numb patches on my left leg (just below the knee) and on my foot. I also can't kneel at all, and I know this will last some time. People tried to come up with explanations last time (my favourite was "all the extra weight you're carrying" - I always lose weight when pg!)

orangina Mon 01-Aug-05 17:14:29

I don't know if this thread died a few weeks ago, but I've just seen it now, and I have been having exactly the same troubles.... feel like a complete old woman , as I can barely hobble when I get up in the night to feed dd.... I asked my mother about it (a GP, the source of all knowledge to me, and a great ear for all those little moans that I can't face taking to the official GP...), who said that post partum women should be taking lots of calcium and vitamin d, as although it feels like a joint thing (it's in my ankles and spreading to my knees and hips now...), it's more than likely to be bones. We should all be taking calcium to avoid osteoporitis apparently...

(makes me feel old, but perhaps not as old as if I was actually arthritic, which was my fear! )...

Anyway, I'm going to take this problem to my official GP anyway, get it put on the records. Hope this helps? If I find any info on this, I'll try (note TRY) to post a link.....

O

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now