Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

anyone know how to get rid of thrush?

(15 Posts)
juicychops Sat 16-Jul-05 21:06:50

Had it for 3 days now. Not used anything as ive used a particular cream before and it made me itch more! any sugestions of quick remedies?

munz Sat 16-Jul-05 21:12:10

flush it thru with lemon barley water?/ normal water.

munz Sat 16-Jul-05 21:12:32

or canestan's ment to be v good.

marne Sat 16-Jul-05 21:12:32

The oral tablet is good but takes a few days to work so you need to use cream as well. Ask in the chemist they should be able to advise what to use.

nannyjo Sat 16-Jul-05 21:15:20

would strongly advice AGAINST using the pessaries (can't spell) they were AWFUL. once it was in we went shopping and i spent the next hour feeling like i had a torch there literally it was agony, we rushed home and i had to try and fish out what was left (i know, yuck) and wash as much as i could away, it just burnt like crazy till it was all out.

Flossam Sat 16-Jul-05 21:18:21

This has come up loads of times before! At risk of being fishy do a quick search. I bet you will get loads.

spidermama Sat 16-Jul-05 21:19:06

This was a miracle cure for me when I had terrible thrush during pregnancy. It worked overnight when everything else had failed.....

Peel a garlic clove, prick it with a pin and put a few drops of tea tree oil in it.
Thread some cotton through the middle of the garlic clove and leave a long tail out both sides.
Push it in the vag' leaving the tail hanging out (so you can pull it out) and leave it overnight.

Also ..... to stop it coming back, take pro-biotics like live yorgurt (can be applied locally and/or eaten ....or better still Acidophulus Bifidus from health food shops.

Cut down on sugar and yeast.

The above will make conditions harder for the thrush to return.

juicychops Sat 16-Jul-05 21:21:35

Spidermama, are you sure that works? sounds a bit horrific if it doesn't work

NotQuiteCockney Sat 16-Jul-05 21:21:49

I never had that much luck with applied garlic. Putting yogurt on helps, I found.

But the biggest fixes I found were cutting sugar from my diet entirely, and letting the relevant bits "air" as much as possible. Avoid tight and non-breathing clothing (cotton pants only).

And if it's really bad, you can get a prescription for a fix.

munz Sat 16-Jul-05 21:22:13

pess (sp) what evers - what r they then?

I have found thou on the odd occasion i've used cream (normally just flush it thru) I've had to use a pad, (althou I do use it at night only)

NotQuiteCockney Sat 16-Jul-05 21:23:28

Oh, the garlic in the vagina thing isn't unpleasant (for some reason, I used to wrap it in gauze. Didn't bother with the string, had no problems there), but it didn't work for me. To be fair, the attack that I tried that for, when I finally gave up and saw a gyne-type-person, he was impressed at how bad it was. And that was a special STD-type-clinic where all he saw all day were various ladybit problems.

munz Sat 16-Jul-05 21:24:24

but didn't it make ahem, the area a bit pongy?

spidermama Sat 16-Jul-05 22:06:02

Thrush is a bit pongy anyway munz.

bonkerz Sat 16-Jul-05 22:10:04

have it at the moment and am using canestan and a pessery which is ok but leaves a chalky residue so wear a pad, also told to drink lots of water and cranberry juice by the doctor!!

NotQuiteCockney Sat 16-Jul-05 22:12:28

Yeah, what spidermama says.

Anyway, I eat a lot of garlic, so I probably always smell like garlic.

I do think the natural ways to get rid of thrush work best if you try them before it's got too bad.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: