Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

What kind of fillings do your kids teeth get?

(9 Posts)
mamadadawahwah Sat 16-Jul-05 17:39:38

I am worried about fillings for my son's teeth. Even the amalgam is full of carcinogenic substances. what is the alternative if any (apart from preventing cavities in the first place!)

alibubbles Sat 16-Jul-05 21:38:14

Message withdrawn

Janh Sat 16-Jul-05 21:43:57

Some kids just have weak enamel, alibubbles.

mdw, they tend to use white filling material these days - not sure what it is, and it's not as strong as amalgam, but it seems to work OK - it probably wouldn't do for the kind of huge cavity people used to get in the bad old days but is OK for small ones.

blondehelen Sat 16-Jul-05 21:48:38

my dd (6) has a white filling, easy to do at the dentist. And yes she has always brushed twice a day and doesn't eat loads of sweets. The dentist didn't judge me as a parent and also couldn't say why my dd in particular. Alibubbles, how do you know unless you have inspected each and every mouth cos I wouldn't say my dd broadcasts her filling to her friends or their parents!

mamadadawahwah Sat 16-Jul-05 22:11:28

Well my son has at least three cavities at only two years of age. He gets NO sweets and juice only at meal times. I think he just has weak teeth. anyway, dentist pointed out the brown spots and they look quite big. Have to go to the child dentist for him and I am freaking. No way he is getting a regular filling but just wanted to know what the options were.

thank you

paolosgirl Sat 16-Jul-05 22:19:22

Ali - and for all the others that may query why a child needs fillings - not all children are fed a diet of sweets and fizzy drinks.
My DS has 2 small fillings . Sweets are a weekly treat in our house, they don't get fizzy drinks, they drink water or milk, and they have lots of fruit and veg. They brush twice a day, and DD who eats the same food as DS has no fillings.
DS's are bothe white - they give those to kids, as long as the cavities aren't too big. The white ones are softer, harder to put in, and don't last as long, though.

Milliways Sun 17-Jul-05 19:34:47

My DS broke his 2 front (permanent) teeth & they have been rebuilt with white filling until he is old enough for a permanent cap.

twirlaround Sun 17-Jul-05 19:37:01

There was an article recently which claimed that 40% of under fives have decay - quite shocking, but clearly decay in youngsters is sadly not rare at all

I think white fillings are safer than anything with mercury in FWIW

lailag Sun 17-Jul-05 19:40:40

dd has 2 teeth with cavaties which appeared when just 9 months old. Was exclusively bf for 6 months. At the moment just being observed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now