Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

adverse reaction to vaccination - what next?

(14 Posts)
nonemouse Sat 16-Jul-05 15:51:28

morning after the (second) 5 in 1, rash, temperature, screaming. Rushed to a&e because the parents were concerned and told it was a reaction to the vaccine. Mother reacted badly to second dtp and didn't complete the course. Parents advised to complete vaccination.

What are the choices? Can you get a 4 in 1 or 3 in 1 or would they have to pay for single vaccines to avoid pertussis (as that seems the most likely cause)?

Laylasmum Sat 16-Jul-05 17:30:29

Certainly on NHS there are no child vaccines without the pertussis component anymore, the one given at leaving school age isn't licensed for young children. It may be that there are diptheria and tetanus combined only available privately but as the live oral polio isn't available anymore I don't know how easy it would be to obtain the inactivated polio injection privately. I guess they will have to do a bit of searching around to see what the private clinics offer.

coppertop Sat 16-Jul-05 17:56:15

My ds1 had a bad reaction to the pertussis vaccine. The HV told us that he was one of the last children to be given the DT(without the P). That was almost a year ago now. The NHS seem to have adopted an all-or-nothing approach to this issue.

Jimjams Sat 16-Jul-05 19:53:26

I would avoid child DT if any is found as it contains thimerosal.
There is a private doc who says the adult version of DT is ok and doesn't contain thimerosal- his name is on a thread somewhere! I was wondering whether to use him to give ds2 and ds3 their tetanus jab but haven't decided yet...


Sigle hib and single meningitis C should be available. I'd personally be wary about completing the course and ask for a second opinion (some mumsnetters have seen some good immunologists- I think lisalisa saw one- who don't just say immunise).

They could ask for an antibody titre to see how well the first 2 have worked.

nonemouse Sun 17-Jul-05 10:47:08

thank you. They are not well off and I don't think they would be able to afford individual vaccination. Is there any risk to delaying the third vaccination? I have seen suggestions that delay increases the risk of reactions to pertussis and tetanus but would this be delays of years or months?

As there have been suggestions that probiotics may support the development of the immune system are there any suitable for a 13 week baby? As the mother is breastfeeding would adding them to her diet be enough?

I'm sorry to ask so many questions but the family gp is unhelpful. This is a male baby and a firstborn, the parents feared meningitis and were very worried. They will be trying to speak to another gp.

Jimjams Sun 17-Jul-05 11:36:27

is it the GP advising on vaccination? They need to see a consultant really.

fqueenzebra Sun 17-Jul-05 11:36:57

I am confused, why did the mother get a dtp jab?
Why is it relevant that baby is male?

There's a risk to baby not getting the 3rd jab, but there is a risk to everything. A breastfeeding mother taking probiotics will not give her baby immunity to any of the diseases in the 5-in-1 jab.

Personally I would assume that the baby already had their biggest reaction to the viruses (that's what the rash, etc. was about) but I would get the 3rd jab to ensure immunity for all 5 diseases.

I think all 3 of my children had small reactions to the 2nd jab (5 in one or the old dtap combo). For instance, DS1 had a big lump on his leg after the 2nd 5-in-1... but no reaction at all to the 3rd jab.

Jimjams Sun 17-Jul-05 11:58:33

QZ there are some children who react very badly to pertussis (seizures etc) they should not continue to receive pertussis jabs.

fqueenzebra Sun 17-Jul-05 14:42:09

Did nonemouse's friend's child have a seizure?

Jimjams Sun 17-Jul-05 15:03:44

NO idea- but as their is a family history of reaction to pertussis - enough to prevent the mother finishing the course- they have always been careful (not people like me- orthodox pro vaccination medics). Perussis is known to be the vax most likely to cause problems. Until last year children having strong reactions like this would have been given DT as the third jab (like copeertops ds's). Now they've withdrawn paediatric DT the situation is less clear, but I wouldn't trust a GP to know enough about the situation to make the decision.

nonemouse Sun 17-Jul-05 15:25:14

the mother had the dtp as a child but reacted so badly she didn't have the third injection. (I don't know the exact details and I'm not sure she does). The baby didn't have a seizure but he had been dosed with ibuprofen. Its relevant that he's male because autism is higher in males. Allergic reactions are more common in firtborn children.

Government advice on this seems to be you have the third injection unless the baby actually had a seizure. The average gp therefore isn't likely to say anything different.

The 5 in 1 is acellular pertussis and therefore is supposed to produce fewer reactions.

On other mumsnet threads about vaccination probiotics have been suggested. Those threads are mostly about MMR though.

nonemouse Sun 17-Jul-05 15:35:22

I'm going to look at the cost of single vaccines for them anyway. Any suggestions for places in London?

nonemouse Sun 17-Jul-05 15:49:45

the last of ingredients for the vaccine on this homeopathic website includes peanut oil. If that's true maybe the source of the reaction?

http://www.clovelly.org.uk/documents/pediacel.html

nonemouse Sun 17-Jul-05 15:58:43

found this one http://www.holbornmedicalservices.com/childhoodpricesinfo.html

searching for more .....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: