Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Reflux in 37 year old

(6 Posts)
jamiesam Fri 15-Jul-05 21:50:05

Hats off to all the poor babies who've had/got this. Just done a search and not come up with any adults who've had it.

I woke up yesterday morning and felt like someone had kicked me in the chest. As soon as I spoke or moved the pain became more intense. I was so worried I phoned the Dr and made an appt to see her at 9.50am. She diagnosed reflux but sent me to hospital for blood tests to rule out anything more serious. Bought bottle of Gaviscon on way to hospital and by late afternoon symptoms easing.

Returned to drs today shame faced to get blood tests results (all completely normal), told her I felt fine on the Gaviscon. This is COMPLETELY different from the acid indigestion I got when pg. Not related to diet as such (I'd actually gone to bed at 6pm on Weds night feeling ropey - dr did say this might be one of the reasons it came on, not eating for a long period of time).

Anyway, to return to my original point - respect to all the babies who suffer this and the mums and dads who look after them.

Twiglett Fri 15-Jul-05 21:53:13

if it makes you feel any better I got taken in an ambulance with siren blaring to hospital with an attack of gastritis 4 weeks after DD was born

jamiesam Fri 15-Jul-05 21:57:17

What happened?

Twiglett Fri 15-Jul-05 22:01:44

they ruled out heart condition, blood clot etc, gave me strong antacids, said I couldn't have PPI cos bf and told me to make my own way home

.. I was dressed in a bra, dressing gown, jeans, no shoes or socks and it was 2am as I walked through the hospital and out onto the street

.. had about 3 months swallowing litres of gaviscon then it just stopped

beware they do aniseed flavoured gaviscon, bought it by mistake once and didn't realise till it was in my mouth .. I find that quite cruel

Tissy Fri 15-Jul-05 22:07:46

aniseed gaviscon is MUCH better than the peppermint one- that is just like drinking toothpaste!

jamiesam Fri 15-Jul-05 22:07:51

Oops! I now realise I'm a complete amateur

I hope gaviscon will sort me out too, as dr doesn't advise prescription solution as I'm ttc.

Actually I don't mind the aniseed - didn't know there was an alternative? (Then again, I only know one other person who liked tcp throat pastilles - now out of production!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: