Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

mouth ulcer won't go away

(25 Posts)
ruty Fri 15-Jul-05 09:23:55

has anyone had a persistent mouth ulcer? I don't usually get them but i've had this horrible sore one at the back of my mouth for over five weeks now. Terrified its something horrible, i don't smoke but i have done [for about a year] and i used to take inhalers for asthma [stupid combination yes i know]. Just can't get rid of it. Going back to doc next week just wondered if anyone had had a similar thing.

kissalot Fri 15-Jul-05 09:52:21

DP had a couple of persistant ulcers (though not sure if it was for as long as you) and in the end using Corsodyl mouthwash done the trick. He also uses asthma pumps BTW.

Don't worry though, I'm sure you're OK.

Our doc said it was a viral thing.

gscrym Fri 15-Jul-05 10:09:09

Try aloclair (I think thats what it's called). I get them on the side of my tongue and that seems to help. Also try Difflam mouthwash or spray.

expatkat Fri 15-Jul-05 10:14:46

Look up the thread on geographic tongue. It could be the start of that--a totally benign condition. I'm running out the door, or I'd do a link for you.

ruty Fri 15-Jul-05 10:15:16

thanks will try. Just expected it to have gone by now.

lilaclotus Fri 15-Jul-05 10:16:48

corsodyl is great stuff for mouth ulcers.

Hausfrau Fri 15-Jul-05 10:20:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

jasper Sat 16-Jul-05 00:01:36

where is it? Your tongue? Hard palate ? Soft palate? In the midline or off to one side?

sallystrawberry Sat 16-Jul-05 00:13:10

spidermama Sat 16-Jul-05 00:16:12

Hi ruty. Ulcers are horrible aren't they. I've had ones that hang around for ages and ages and are unbelievably sore.

You have to keep your mouth as clean as poss so rinse out with salt water. Sage leaves are supposed to help. Bruise the leaves and put them on ulcer overnight.

sallystrawberry Sat 16-Jul-05 00:17:29

Copper Sat 16-Jul-05 07:58:50

ruty
Having spent a wait at the dentists recently reading a poster about potential mouth problems, I'd go to the doctor now, not wait a couple of weeks - can be a sign of something that needs treatment

alibubbles Sat 16-Jul-05 08:24:03

Message withdrawn

jessicaandbumpsmummy Sat 16-Jul-05 08:27:31

all else fails - anbesol liquid.... fantastic stuff! It stings, but my god it works!

Hausfrau Sat 16-Jul-05 10:09:47

ruty Sun 17-Jul-05 13:20:24

thanks for all the tips. Have been to docs once and she said come back inn two weeks so am going this week again. Pharmacist said don't use corsadyl if breastfeeding! Will try sage leaves and salt water thanks spidermama. Still terrified, have to face it to whatever it is. It keeps going down then coming back up, so hoping that means it will heal eventually. Also got a gammy tonsil now! Boody hell..

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 13:23:04

Immune system a bit overworked by the sound of it ruty. Have a course of echinachea, cut down/out sugar, eat great food and get plenty of rest to build it up again. (Easier said than done I know)

ruty Sun 17-Jul-05 13:27:27

thanks spidermama. its odd, i eat organic, don't eat sugar, but i must be run down cos i've had thrush as well. is echinasea ok while bfeeding?

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 13:31:28

Yes it's fine. Sounds like you could do with pro-biotics as well. (lots of thrush going around at the moment). You probably know this but ....Live yog and/or acidophulus bifodus.

ruty Sun 17-Jul-05 13:34:09

take bio bifido bac T probiotic whatever that is. Doing all the things but nothings working!

spidermama Sun 17-Jul-05 13:36:51

When my body's letting me down and I've tried all the usual stuff, I go to the homeopath. I don't know why it works, but it does. For me anyway.

Sorry to hear of your problems. Thrush is no fun in this weather.

All the best. x

Blackduck Sun 17-Jul-05 13:47:37

Try corlan - tiny tablets you get over the counter....hold against ulcer and let dissolve - work every time for me.....

ruty Sun 17-Jul-05 13:49:21

thanks spidermama x

ruty Sun 17-Jul-05 13:49:38

and thanks blackduck!

JuJuMoo Thu 21-Jul-05 16:09:35

Aren't they just the worst thing! Sooo painful -I have to take painkillers when I get ulcers or I get so grumpy its untrue - it hurts to laugh, speak, eat! Grrrr. My MIL recommends drying out a pomegranite and grinding it up into a powder, and applying that to the area.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now