Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Huge increase in weight 7mth old baby

(5 Posts)
poopigeating Thu 14-Jul-05 17:22:51

I have a friend that I haven't seen for some time, her baby boy is about 6 weeks younger than mine.
Both babies were little babies, mine was early hers full-term, but both under 6lbs.
We both had problems bfing initially, but I stuck with it and my dd is now fully bf and weaning since 6months.
I met her a week ago and I was shocked at the size of her ds. He is really really fat, and I don't mean in a cute chubby way - he must be close to 30lbs at 7mths - average length, from being under 6lb?

She reckons he is off the chart for weight and kept saying how surprised she was at the difference in the two babies.
A while back I heard her ds was gaining weight at double what he was expected, and I was told she was bottle feeding him very large quantities.
I don't think she has had much help or guidance from her HV and probably didn't really know how much to feed. Plus she was very stressed about his intial small size and her problems with bfing.
The last time I saw him at 8 weeks, he was still pretty small (around 7lbs) and was being given 6 ounces of formula, after breastfeeding. He didn't seem particularly hungry, but was a bit sucky, liked a dummy. I remember he was sick and brought up a lot of the formula, but she went and made another large bottle and proceeded to feed him that.
When we were talking, I had the impressiong that she was dissapointed that her ds couldn't roll, because he got too tired, and she said he couldn't move much, because he was too heavy. She thought my dd was 'advanced', I didn't have the heart to say that she is pretty standard, I mean a lot of babies can crawl at 7/8 months?
I know the baby has had some respiratory problems in the past month as well, but I don't know if they are size related?

I am worried about her baby, but don't want to be interfering - it's just not fair on that little boy. He just sits in his buggy and stares. I can't see how he will work off any of the weight if he's too heavy too move. He just didn't look very healthy.

Am I over-reacting to this, is this a health problem? What would you do?

connorsmum Thu 14-Jul-05 20:24:13

30lbs at 7 months??? My 4 yr old ds is only just 37lbs. I would say that she needs to change HV or go to the dr with her baby, that can't be very good for him. Think of all the strain he must have on his heart and other major organs. I think that she could get the right help with your support, you must be a great freind.

CarolinaMoon Thu 14-Jul-05 20:32:54

i know a baby a bit like this. You could start a convo about feeding with her and sneak some hints in about what your kid eats. Or hint about Qs she could ask her HV.

<<have you posted this before btw? had a weird sense of deja vu reading it...>

fqueenzebra Thu 14-Jul-05 22:47:16

On this thread, too . But deserves its own thread, I imagine.

poopigeating Sat 16-Jul-05 01:21:31

Hi there, thanks for the advice, I think I will broach it in the manner suggested. It's such dodgy subject.
Carolina, I did post as a kind of hijack of another thread, then quickly realised it was a raging bf slim baby versus bottle fat baby thing. Which I wasn't really interested in discussing.
For the record, I don't think bottle fed babies are all fat, although I think you have to be careful not to overdo it with formula, my ds was mixed fed for three months and it wasn't hard to give him more than the amount recommended for his bodyweight, (especially when you are worrying about your baby's weight - 'oh, a couple of extra ounces won't do any harm'). And you know how doctors say, it only takes one biscuit a day and you put on an extra couple of pounds a year and before you know it, you've got a big fat bum.
Sorry, I'm a bit tired, so I'm gibbering. Off to bed now.
Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: