Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

This is serious - please reassure me

(54 Posts)
OnTheTipOfMyTongue Tue 12-Jul-05 22:44:46

I am posting under a diff name as I am embarrassed about this.

For a little while I have been worried that I am displaying early signs of dementia or something.

I stammer when I talk/forget halfway through saying things what I am talking about and ask the person I am conversing with what I have just said as I cannot remember.

When I am speaking or writing I have a word on the tip of my tongue but cannot grasp it and my writing and thinking does not seem to "flow" iyswim. I have to stop and repeat the sentence several times up to the word I cannot remember and then eventually, it comes to me.

I am very worried I am developing dementia and I don't know if I should see my doc or just hope this will pass.

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Jul-05 22:45:56

Well, how recently have you had a baby? Sorry, but I was a bit loopy for quite a while after each one.

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Jul-05 22:46:24

And how much sleep do you get? Both can make you odd ime.

OnTheTipOfMyTongue Tue 12-Jul-05 22:47:04

Youngest is 7 months.

I sleep like a log.

misdee Tue 12-Jul-05 22:47:12

are you me?

marthamoo Tue 12-Jul-05 22:47:34

I agree with www - have you had a baby recently? I could barely string a sentence together for months after mine were born: sleep deprivation is a terrible thing.

OnTheTipOfMyTongue Tue 12-Jul-05 22:47:36

misdee

leonardodavinci Tue 12-Jul-05 22:48:25

can I ask when you forget things is it all the time, or after you have ahd a long day at work/chatting to people/doing thimgs that use your mental strength...are you in your 30's? sorry but not quite sure what to say, someone today at work stammered and she was about 38, get it off your chest.

essbee Tue 12-Jul-05 22:48:43

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Tue 12-Jul-05 22:48:54

OK then - maybe not sleep deprivation. I think you've answered your own question then: you say you're "very worried" - in that case you should see your GP.

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Jul-05 22:49:03

Oh well there you go then, not mad but postnatal. Possibly. (added just in case you have got dementia but I doubt it)

essbee Tue 12-Jul-05 22:49:13

Message withdrawn

marthamoo Tue 12-Jul-05 22:49:34

And agree with essbee too - depression can do this too, makes it very hard to 'engage' properly.

OnTheTipOfMyTongue Tue 12-Jul-05 22:49:48

I am mid-thirties.

It happens often at varying times of the day. Happens so often now I am starting to frighten myself.

suzyj Tue 12-Jul-05 22:50:15

If you're this worried, you must see your doctor. Your fear and nerves over it will only make it worse, as you feel self-conscious about it. It may pass on its own or they can advise on tips and tricks to ease this 'speakers' and writers' block'.

And, on the off-chance that it is something with a neurological basis, the sooner this is diagnosed the better. Book an appt first thing tomorrow, I'd say, sweetie.

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Jul-05 22:50:39

Well, I think you should see your gp too, just tell them and see what they say.

kama Tue 12-Jul-05 22:50:42

Message withdrawn

OnTheTipOfMyTongue Tue 12-Jul-05 22:52:32

I would be soooo embarrassed to see my GP. He would roll his eyes at me and tell me to get a grip.

That's if I got the words out in the first place without sounding like a gibbering freak.

Ok I'm joking about that last bit - please excuse me I always crack jokes when I'm nervous.

WideWebWitch Tue 12-Jul-05 22:53:14

If he would roll his eyes etc time to change gp I think.

leonardodavinci Tue 12-Jul-05 22:53:20

you know I couldn't even remember posting on this thread when I saw the title brain cells diminish as one gets older I think.

essbee Tue 12-Jul-05 22:54:11

Message withdrawn

OnTheTipOfMyTongue Tue 12-Jul-05 22:56:39

Does this sort of thing happen to anyone else?

The only other explanation I have thought of is stress, but I don't feel stressed particularly.

I am most certainly not depressed, far from it.

What would the GP actually do if I went to him and said this?

essbee Tue 12-Jul-05 22:57:44

Message withdrawn

essbee Tue 12-Jul-05 22:58:03

Message withdrawn

misdee Tue 12-Jul-05 22:58:09

see the GP. mine 'stutters, forgetfukllness, clumsiness and shakes get worse when i'm stressed and/or tired. (a lot at the moment)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now