Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

KNEE REALLY SWOLLEN, WHAT CAN IT BE. PLEASE HELP :(:(:(

(16 Posts)
Blossomhill Tue 12-Jul-05 13:29:23

Been having pain in my left knee on and off for about 6 months. Just looked at my left knee and the top of the knee cap is really swollen. Any idea what it could be as I am actually quite frightened. Thanks

Marina Tue 12-Jul-05 13:31:28

Bursitis Blossomhill? Also known as housemaid's knee? That causes swelling and pain.

Blossomhill Tue 12-Jul-05 13:32:46

Oh never heard of that before Marina.

I certainly do enough housework though

Puff Tue 12-Jul-05 13:35:28

Get to your gp's while it's still swollen so he/she can see what's going on.

Blossomhill Tue 12-Jul-05 20:29:30

Puff going to go tomorrow as couldn't get an appointment today.

Am now at the stage where I cannot walk hardly as the other knee is hurting loads as compensating for the other one

lou33 Tue 12-Jul-05 20:47:35

cartilege (sp?)? partial recurring dislocations?

HappyMumof2 Tue 12-Jul-05 21:25:11

Message withdrawn

galaxy Tue 12-Jul-05 21:27:59

Cartledge or excess fluid on the knee cap (bit like tennis elbow)

Blossomhill Tue 12-Jul-05 21:30:57

I really don't know what it could be tbh. We do have arthritus quite strongly in the family so an very worried about that.
I am in so much pain and dh is being a complete ar$e, no sympathy at all. I was crying earlier and he was so aggressive. He was like there's nothing wrong with you. No, nothing only the fact I can't walk

HappyMumof2 Tue 12-Jul-05 21:34:54

Message withdrawn

Janh Tue 12-Jul-05 21:38:03

A picture of bursitis - kneecap on R of pic is swollen - is that what yours looks like?

(Nothing to do with housework really - I had tennis elbow once from walking around doing market research with my arm bent round a clipboard!)

Puff Tue 12-Jul-05 22:41:21

I hope you get it sorted BH, sounds really painful.

HappyMumof2 Wed 13-Jul-05 14:30:18

Message withdrawn

Blossomhill Wed 13-Jul-05 17:11:10

Well went to gp's today and she is sending me for tests - blood and xray to check for arthritis. I think she thinks that's what it is and I also think it may be too
Pain has gone down a bit today but knee is still quite swollen.
Going for xray/blood test tomorrow. Will let you all know once I do.

HappyMumof2 Wed 13-Jul-05 17:13:35

Message withdrawn

Eaney Wed 13-Jul-05 17:20:22

Try bathing in epsom salts. It is pretty good at getting swelling down. You should put a handful in the bath water and relax as long as possible.

I had a problem with my knee for years and ultrasound treatment with a physio helped a lot.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now