Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

what happens at a UK 2yr check?

(9 Posts)
Hausfrau Tue 12-Jul-05 12:02:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misdee Tue 12-Jul-05 12:04:55

dd2 was done at 2.5years old. she was asked to draw (she refused) asked to build a tower (she refused) and do a puzzle. she did do the puzzle. the HV asked me laods of questions and any concerns.

Blackduck Tue 12-Jul-05 12:05:21

ds had his a couple of weeks ago - dp took him:
Pile up bricks
Catch a ball
Name things (he wouldn't say 'car' ffs - he is obsessed with the damn things...)
Hold a pen (I think...)
Copy movements...
Thats all I can remember from what dp said...

WigWamBam Tue 12-Jul-05 12:16:03

My dd's was done at 21 months. They had six or seven children all in at the same time, and set out little tables with crayons, puzzles, building blocks and so on, and just watched the children play with the toys and interact with each other. They then brought out a ball and a tea-set, and watched how the children reacted - rolling the ball, pretending to pour tea and so on.

The children's weight and height was recorded, and we were asked about specific things like whether the children could use a spoon, was interested in potty training and so on. All very informal.

clary Tue 12-Jul-05 12:24:48

ds2’s was done a couple of months ago.
They asked him to make a tower of five bricks; name some things in pictures (eg bird, horse) and if he cdn’t then point to the horse etc; could I understand half of what he said? could he put on an item of clothing, use a fork and spoon? could he run (! try stopping him!) etc.
For all these things there is a range, obviously, eg understanding half of what the child says ranges from 18mo to 3 IIRC.

Hausfrau Tue 12-Jul-05 13:12:12

Hausfrau Tue 12-Jul-05 13:12:47

coppertop Tue 12-Jul-05 13:30:52

Ds2 didn't have a 2yr check but ds1's was done at home. The HV was looking at whether he could talk, whether he could follow simple instructions, eg "put the cup on the table", and whether he could point to various body parts . She asked him to build a tower of bricks and asked about whether he could feed himself. She also observed the way he moved around the room.

When ds1 pretty much spent the entire visit ignoring her she referred him for speech therapy.

Hausfrau Tue 12-Jul-05 20:00:20

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now