Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

how do i get rid of her Lice???

(53 Posts)
Nickinha Tue 12-Jul-05 10:05:02

Our nursery warned that one of the kids had lice and we should watch out for it... Sadly my dd got them too. I have tried 3 different shampoo's and she still has them... Today I will have to take her to chop off all her beautiful long locks and am soooo sad about it. Is there any home remedies out there I should try?

almostanangel Tue 12-Jul-05 10:05:51

the best stuff at the mo is full markks OIL!! its great

Nickinha Tue 12-Jul-05 10:08:02

is that the name of the product? What type of oil is it?

almostanangel Tue 12-Jul-05 10:19:10

yes name of product is full marks!,,and ask for the oil its new,,then you will spend a couple of hours if you have the time with the comb [in the box] tey to clear the little white eggs..,,then please [will save you time in the long run] when you brush her hair in the morning /night comb thought every day with the nit comb as then you will keep on top of any she brings home as im affraid to say other mums dont always check or treat so it is an on going battle ..good luck oh hint comb hair over white paper..

almostanangel Tue 12-Jul-05 10:19:50

its like baby oil! very slicky so wash with shampoo a feww times after

milward Tue 12-Jul-05 10:20:16

Get some thick hair conditioner & a nit comb. Use a shampoo for nits & then everyday comb through with the conditioner.

Nickinha Tue 12-Jul-05 10:32:02

Just found out we cant get the full marks! in our country. What about your idea Milward, is that any conditioner i can use? Or must it be a specific one? She is also only 2 and not very patient to sit for long periods of time....

Lonelymum Tue 12-Jul-05 10:33:29

My mum showed me an article at the weekend about a new product called Lice attack. Apparently it is the stuff. You can buy it in Boots and some other places but I can't remember which.

Lonelymum Tue 12-Jul-05 10:34:06

Oh s*d. I have just read that you are not in GB.

spidermama Tue 12-Jul-05 10:34:56

I've gone down the herbal and the organophosphates route. Nothing seems to work. I just keep on combing and combing. The only comb which gets them is the 'NitFree' metal jobby. The free ones from school don't work.

spidermama Tue 12-Jul-05 10:35:21

I used full marks and was combing out live, if a little disorientated, nits.

milward Tue 12-Jul-05 10:36:53

I just used a hair conditioner that came in a pinkish bottle - my dds loved this. I think any type would be ok. Have read that if it has tea tree oil in that it can be more effective because of the smell. If you comb through everyday it will only take a few mins - could do in front of tv. I put the conditioer in the bath, combed & then rinsed it. I've done this everyday & they've been nit free for a whole school year. Before this my eldest had nits 5 times (awful).

Lonelymum Tue 12-Jul-05 10:37:01

I forget what was in Lice Attack, but it was something natural. Whatever it was drowned the lice in seconds as I understood it.

The article was from The Times. Perhaps it could be found on their website?

donnie Tue 12-Jul-05 10:37:27

it's a bit extreme but apparently petrol destroys them insantly! just don't smoke while you are doing it! a Polish au pair told me this and said that in her village that's how they deal with them. Rather smelly though I should think....

Aero Tue 12-Jul-05 10:41:04

Trust me - I am an expert in this now! None of the lotions and potions work - full marks included (though if there is a new product it's worth a try - haven't seen the oil version). No need to have her hair cut though - honestly. The big problem is that not everyone checks for this regularly and often are not aware that their child is affected before half the class is too.
The best way (I've found) to keep on top of it is to be a little OTT about it and inspect the hair very regularly. Buy a nit comb. I use the 'nitty gritty' one (around £10 but worth every penny) as it removes even the tiniest eggs as well as live lice. Wash as normal then condition. Comb through thoroughly and remove all live lice. She can't pass it on if live lice are not present. Repeat this process a couple of times a week until the cycle is broken - ie that any eggs that may have been missed don't hatch or if they do the lice will be miniscule and not mature enough to lay more eggs. Important to realise that the best way to deal with lice is to accept they are pretty much always around and you need to be vigilent in watching out for them. We comb through with a nit comb weekly anyway even when dd's long curly locks are clear, just in case. That way if there are head lice in the class, we're on top of it before it becomes a problem.

Lonelymum Tue 12-Jul-05 10:46:10

If you are prepared to subscribe to the Times online service, you can read about the new product there. Just type in Lice Attack and the article comes up but I can't read it all as I can't subscribe for some reason.

Aero Tue 12-Jul-05 10:46:59

Just seen you're not in this country, but it can be bought online - will try to find a link - maybe they'd accept paypal or similar. Here.

spidermama Tue 12-Jul-05 10:49:12

Totally agree with Aero. Every word.

Aero Tue 12-Jul-05 10:54:27

After the fifth time (before I became an expert), I decided to try the 'no treatment', treatment. Works for me. Saves a fortune too, though conditioner bill has risen a bit .

Nickinha Tue 12-Jul-05 11:20:03

Thats what I am going to try Aero. A friend just brought me some Tesco Coconut conditioner from the uk. From now on, I will put it on her hair everynight and comb it through thouroughly. How long will I have to keep this up? (Before the whole cycle is broken?) If I start tonight, will there still be lice in her hair tomorrow which could affect the other kids at school? Would not want to do that.

Kidstrack2 Tue 12-Jul-05 11:30:08

When my ds had it last year I treated with full marks lotion and combed all lice out of his head and most of the eggs with a bone comb and conditioner and then exactly 7days later I treated him again with full marks lotion and I managed to get rid of the little blighters. The problem is that No lotion can kill the eggs, so if you don't manage to comb all the eggs out they hatch and you need to treat again. This is why the school nurses say treat once and then treat again 7days later!

Aero Tue 12-Jul-05 11:43:21

About two weeks will break the cycle of the lice, but you need to keep on top of potential recurrances by combing regularly. Once the cycle is broken, then once a week with the comb and conditioner is enough. If you comb her tonight and remove any live lice, then she will not be able to pass it on at school tomorrow. Just repeat twice a week for two weeks, then regular checking and a weekly comb through will keep it under control. If you become complacent though (which is very easy to do), and forget for a while, then the chances of re-infestation are high if someone in the class has them, as other parents don't always check iyswim. HTH.

Aero Tue 12-Jul-05 11:46:05

Tiny eggs cannot infect others - only live walking lice. So even if you miss a few eggs it doesn't matter, as long as you keep repeating the combing process every few days to remove any which may have hatched but are too immature to lay eggs.

lilaclotus Tue 12-Jul-05 11:54:35

i use a metal nit comb with tea tree oil conditioner and a leave-in spray. i've heard from several people that diluted white vinegar if good as it is good for getting rid of the greasy sticky stuff which clings the eggs to the hair and so they can be removed easier.

lilaclotus Tue 12-Jul-05 11:56:30

also, a lot of people still seem to get their facts wrong. the other mums at nursery tell me all sorts of things such as: "hairspray stops you getting them", "they jump and fly" and "adults don't get them" (yeah right!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now