Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Post pregnancy dark skin patches on face.

(7 Posts)
Skribble Mon 11-Jul-05 22:47:13

After having first child I have developed a dark patch above my top lip. The skin there gets even darker in the summer with just a little sun even though I use factor 60 as much as possible. Just now it so dark that a college said "oh you got cola or something roungd your lips. I try to cover it with make up but never get a good result.

Any hints for skin lightening or makeup that will cover. Boots has a new range in that includes a skin lightener but cost £20. I have tried fade out cream using it religiously with no change in skin colour so wary about spending £20 on another cream. I would consider laser or bleaching treatment if it worked. FGS they can bleach your anus what about faces .

Libb Mon 11-Jul-05 22:57:32

I would be interested in this too - this year hasn't been so bad but last year (when DS was newborn) it made me looked like a bit odd (I had it on my cheeks too). Now it is just my upper lip and it still bothers me a little so would like any ideas on sorting it.

Thanks Skribble for posting xx

alux Mon 11-Jul-05 23:26:53

I have a cortisone cream someone brought back from Latin America for me. I haven't started to use it yet cos I bf. This skin discoloration is v. common in women with American Indian blood. I would think that it is only available in the UK on prescription.

uwila Mon 11-Jul-05 23:27:28

AH, me too. DD is now 2 1/2. I have/had a couple of these lovely patches appear on my face. I have just had my second child and plan to have no more so Idecided to splurge on the (hopeful!) remedy. I am taking a series of facial called a glycol peel. I recommend seeking out your local beaty salon (where are you? Perhaps I can recommend one???) and asking about the patches. The course I am doing (six facials in total) uses products called MD Formulations. Some competitors use all natural plant extracts which work on the same principal. But MD formulation is more of a medical approach and the glycol is stronger.

Skribble Tue 12-Jul-05 00:17:13

Let us know how you get on with that treatment, I have always been a bit dubious about beauty salons for that kind of thing .

uwila Tue 12-Jul-05 09:29:32

I think it's been pretty good, although it did cost a fortune. It is a series of 6 facials, and this week is number 5. The patches are definitely much better, though not quite gone. You wouldn't notice them now under make-up.

The only think is that the treatments combined with the products that I have to use everyday (some twice a day and one once a week) cost a small fotune. SO, for the price, I could have spent less cracking out the Bupa and going to see a dermatologist. (assuming Bupa would cover this)

Skribble Thu 14-Jul-05 00:07:07

Uwila was this just facials or was it using a specific cream. I am considering aculaser treatment for darkhair on top lip also, wonder if it works on skin ???

I'm going to have to go and consult a dermitoligist but the cost is putting me off, I suppose they will do free consults. I just feel they do treatments that barely work just to get the money of you. Sorry but I am very cynical of miracle treatments.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now