Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Help with a nasty skin thing!

(14 Posts)
babyonboard Mon 11-Jul-05 14:34:37

My flatmate just came in here, interested about mumsnet and he then showed me something most nasty..
he had a boil kind of thing on his back last week which he squeezed yesterday and now has a huge area how to describe..yellowy skin, its all hard, about the size of an empty toilet roll tube (he he..couldn't think of a better comaprison)and pussy, but not weeping. I have given him some antisepetic cream but worried this will just make it damp and take longer to heal. what can he do (apart from never squeeze his skin again)

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 14:35:40

a boil?

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 14:36:34

are you sitting down?

HappyMumof2 Mon 11-Jul-05 14:37:58

Message withdrawn

grumpyfrumpy Mon 11-Jul-05 14:38:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 14:38:21

I had them when I waw s at baording shcool

Aero Mon 11-Jul-05 14:38:59

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew - poor guy!

fishfinger Mon 11-Jul-05 14:39:27

ewwww poor fish!

hey aero ds3 is stil asleep
he has been asleep since about 10

Aero Mon 11-Jul-05 14:40:38

blimey cod!
Ds2 still kipping though going to lift him now has been 3 hours!

babyonboard Mon 11-Jul-05 14:44:02

I have given him some antispetic cream and dressing..guess that is the best thing to do..
but why on earth has it turned such a big patch of skin into a horrible hard puss infested wound?. there is no blood..
he finds it pretty funny tbh, especially seeing my reaction...ew!

HappyMumof2 Mon 11-Jul-05 14:47:11

Message withdrawn

jessicaandbumpsmummy Mon 11-Jul-05 14:48:28

i would get it checked. The last thing he needs is for it to become infected, but to be honest, it sounds as if it already has. I would say go to docs, will probably end up on anti-biotics to clear it up. HTH. Keep us updated x

PrettyCandles Mon 11-Jul-05 14:55:33

My dad had boils in the army. Apparently the worst thing you can do is squeeze them as that forces the puss through the wall of the boil and into the surrounding tissue. You can actually end up with septicaemia that way. Your flatmate needs to take himself off to the GP as he may need oral antibiotics. Boils need to be lanced - ie pricked from the outside- or do what my dad did: he burst his boils by running away from the petrol tanker lorry that he was crewing when it was dive-bombed.

babyonboard Mon 11-Jul-05 15:07:48 prettycandles...not sure i'll reccomend that one!
damn men..they never know what's good for them, i told him to go see his g.p but he just said 'aah its only a wee scab..will be fine in a week or so'

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: