Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Free copper coil or pay over 100 pounds for a Mirena?

(7 Posts)
bobbybob Mon 11-Jul-05 09:55:00

That's my choice basically:

Still bfing and don't get on with mini pill. Ds is allergic to latex so condoms (except expensive avanti) and diaphragm out.

NZ Govt fund the Multi Load cu375 and Nova T so I can have these for the princely sum of 1 pound. Mirena is not funded and will be over 100 pounds.

So it is 100 times better?

Furball Mon 11-Jul-05 10:11:38

Personally I love my mirena, for me it's the no periods - Hooray!! So theoretically you could save that £100 in the long run on towels or tampons.......Bargain!

bobbybob Mon 11-Jul-05 10:21:40

I've just done the maths and I'd be 20 quid down based on what I use, and that's if I'm lucky enough to get no periods. So it does almost pay for itself...

SofiaAmes Mon 11-Jul-05 22:58:47

The mirena didn't agree with me and I had it taken out after 2 years and have gone back on the pill.

blondehelen Mon 11-Jul-05 23:05:02

Have copper coil (for 2 years so far), no problems took about 6 months to settle but now think its great. Chose it cos wanted to get away from taking hormones!! Long term plan- DH to have vasectomy!!!

PrincessPeaHead Mon 11-Jul-05 23:07:47

didn't like mirena either. sent me nuts once a month and made me retain more water than a camel on the paris dakar rally.
do a little research on it (lots of threads on here) and see what you think. I'd be tempted to try copper first and if it doesn't work for you (can cause v heavy periods) then maybe invest in mirena and see if that is an improvement...?

bobbybob Tue 12-Jul-05 02:29:03

I think that's a good idea PPH - would be annoyed if shelled out all that money for something that didn't agree with me.

We have one ds and think that is enough for us. As I am only 32 though we just want to opt for some long term contraception for the next 5 years to make sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now