Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ingrown toenail.

(6 Posts)
MistressMary Sun 10-Jul-05 20:12:24

I think I have one, tis a bit tender.
Anyone had one?
And what can I do to stop it from getting worse?
Will see the chiropodist anyhow.
Just wondered if I could try and help the nail back or best to leave it?

kid Sun 10-Jul-05 20:14:42

If you cut a 'triangle' out of the middle of the toenail (not too far down obviously) this will encourage it to grow away from the edge and towards the centre.

Dh had one a few years ago and it was infected. he had to have a small op to prevent it. Very straight forward and not too painful!

Nik72 Sun 10-Jul-05 20:16:35

Take a small tuft of cotton wool and roll it like a little bit of string & try to get it under the bit of nail that's digging in to lift it away slightly. Pop some antiseptic on too if it looks red.

Aero Sun 10-Jul-05 20:17:08

I have one too MM atm, so sympathise, but am far too big a wimp to go to a chiropodist, so usually resort to minor surgery myself and just grit my teeth and bear it! Once I remove the bit that is ingrowing, then the pain goes away, but getting to it...........oooooooooooooooooh ouch. Probably best to leave it to the professionals, but the idea of a local anaesthetic in my big toe is way too much for me!

Aero Sun 10-Jul-05 20:18:44

Agree with kid too - the triangle thing helps too by encouraging the nail to grow straighter. My podiatrist SIL would disagree with me, but I find it works well usually.

MistressMary Sun 10-Jul-05 20:20:35

Great thanks for that quick response everyone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now