Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

cut or not to cut?

(36 Posts)
haven Sat 09-Jul-05 19:41:52

curious as i read a thread earlier. should a child be circumsized (spelling) or not.

i know some believe for health reason, yes, and other for religious beliefs say, no.

hunkermunker Sat 09-Jul-05 19:42:52

<<ducks>>

CarolinaMoon Sat 09-Jul-05 19:46:10

ooooh, you're brave haven

lou33 Sat 09-Jul-05 19:53:20

puts on tin hat and sprinkles peace and love dust.....

hunkermunker Sat 09-Jul-05 19:55:01

We're doing well so far...

Sorry, Haven - just have been some "heated debates" about this in the past.

nutcracker Sat 09-Jul-05 19:55:21

Whilst it's still nice and quiet i'll answer.

I only agree with it for medical reasons.

Now i'm off to eat my tea and wait for the fireworks

RTKangaMummy Sat 09-Jul-05 20:07:59

An interesting question, but there are plenty of opinions here on both sides, hopefully you will not get told off.

But your little boy is 2 years old isn't he?

Why are you thinking about it?

Does he have a problem in that area?

Or is there another reason for the question?

happymerryberries Sat 09-Jul-05 20:08:32

While I don't practice any religion myself I see that those who do may need to do so for religious reasons. I also agree with it if the child had a problem that needs to be corrected. Otherwise I'd say leave it alone.

snafu Sat 09-Jul-05 20:09:05

Hard hats, hard hats, get 'em here! All colours and sizes! Get your hard hats here!

Sorry, not helpful. My opinion - no. Unless for medical reasons (as opposed to health reasons, which imo are entirely spurious). And on that note, I'm off!

RTKangaMummy Sat 09-Jul-05 20:11:46

But haven's little boy may have a problem I don't think we should assume this will be an arguement

If she has a problem shouldn't she be able to ask without a fight?

Does your little boy have a problem?

hunkermunker Sat 09-Jul-05 20:13:39

Snafu, an interesting distinction and one I agree with.

I'll have a yellow hard hat please, medium. And with a nice furry mohican on it. I'm feeling whimsical.

RTKM, yes, shouldn't have assumed so quickly Am shocking.

SenoraPostrophe Sat 09-Jul-05 20:16:35

this is something I feel quite strongly about.

unless there is an actual medical reason for circumcision then it should not be done to babies. And neither should babies' ears be pierced (although there's never a medical reason for that obviously)

sweetkitty Sat 09-Jul-05 20:19:38

SP - I agree completely with your post unless absolutely necessary then no, leave it alone!

Lonelymum Sat 09-Jul-05 20:21:41

My ds1 and ds3 were born with a deformity to their penises which ds1 has had surgery to correct. Fortunately, the surgeon was able to reconstruct a foreskin so ds1 looks nearly the same (ie uncircumcised) as his normal brother (ds2). We have since moved and ds3 now faces the op but the surgeon here does not believe in reconstructing a foreskin but using what foreskin ds3 has to correct his deformity so ds3 will be left looking as though he has been circumcised. Even though the circumcision will be done for medical reasons, I still don't want him to appear circumcised and I would like to find a surgeon who will operate on ds3 and leave him with a foreskin like ds1.

That is how strongly I feel about not circumcising boys.

RTKangaMummy Sat 09-Jul-05 20:22:01

Haven have you gone away???????

Why did you ask??

Are you worried about your little boy??

expatinscotland Sat 09-Jul-05 20:23:05

here we go again . . .

expatinscotland Sat 09-Jul-05 20:24:34

Again, once again - no. Barring medical reasons and strongly-held religious beliefs.

happymerryberries Sat 09-Jul-05 20:25:52

The reason I can never understand is 'we had it done so he would look lke his father' Huh? Hd lost a testicle through cancer but I felt no need to get ds's removed so he would 'look like his dad'

QZebra Sat 09-Jul-05 20:28:00

I was mulling over one of the often cited reasons (you hear in the USA, anyway). "I want him to look like his Dad/friends/whoever".

DH & I both have brown eyes & brown hair, 2 of our children have blue eys & blonde hair. But we don't go pouring brown dye on their eyes & hair, do we?

Am perhaps being completely mean, but I think haven has started a few.... polemic threads before...

QZebra Sat 09-Jul-05 20:28:29

snap, hmb

RTKangaMummy Sat 09-Jul-05 20:33:12

But what if Haven has a real problem with her little boy

And she has been told he should have it done

If everyone argues about it she may worry even more that she is making the wrong choice

Shouldn't we try to help her rather than argue?

SenoraPostrophe Sat 09-Jul-05 20:34:48

she was "curious", rtk.

Plus no-one has said it is wrong in any circumstance.

hunkermunker Sat 09-Jul-05 20:35:00

Think it would be nice to hear from Haven again - are you there?

QZebra Sat 09-Jul-05 20:36:51

I don't think anyone is arguing, just people saying some things about their own opinions. Very unclear why haven asked.

Her profile is here , btw, looks neglected, if anyone wants to say "hullo!" to her.

Lonelymum Sat 09-Jul-05 20:39:05

Aww that's sad, that no-one responded to her profile when she posted it. She sounds genuine enough to me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now