Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Babies and chickenpox

(4 Posts)
Nimme Sat 09-Jul-05 07:33:14

DD2 is 7 months and we have an opportunity (if I can say that) to get chickenpox now. Is it a good/bad idea. Kind of just want to get it over and done with! Is there something about them getting it again if they have it before 1?

We are off on holiday in 3 weeks but seem to remember it didn't take that long?!

littlemissbossy Sat 09-Jul-05 07:36:33

I think it takes a couple of weeks to come out as a chicken pox rash so your dd would be spotty for your holiday... and very irritable if, where you're going, is hot. I'd leave it if I were you, chances are she'll get it at some point in her childhood anyway

Fran1 Sat 09-Jul-05 07:46:29

The incubation period is three weeks so don't do it!

I think babies tend to get it very mild and if you have it mild yes you can catch it again.
But my dp just caught it for the second time at age 34! So there is no knowing.

LIZS Sat 09-Jul-05 07:47:49

Wouldn't do so deliberately. If you expose her now she would come out with it probably the week before or when you are due to go and if you are travelling anywhere the airline or ferry may make a fuss as she'd still be contagious.

She could get it badly too - I know a couple of b'fed babies who had it at that age - and you can't use Piriton on an under 1 for example - and it can be miserable especially in heat, or so mildly that her immunity isn't built up so she could catch it again later anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now