Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Abnormal smear results

(11 Posts)
Lucymoo Fri 08-Jul-05 20:58:01

I have had abnormal smear results called mild dyskaryosis and i have to have another smear done in 6 months.The trouble is now i have found out that im pregnant and really scared,panicking,convinced ive got cancer!Can i still have a smear taken whilst pregnant?

Milliways Fri 08-Jul-05 21:31:57

<<Hugs>>

Sorry, I have no knowledge of this, just bumping it up for you. I'm sure your doctor can reassure you. Surely if there was a real risk you wouldn't have to wait 6 months?

A friend of mine had an abnormal smear & was called in for urgent treatment. She is fine but now has 6 monthly checks just to keep everyone happy.

Congratulations on the pregnancy. Ask your midwife/doctor for more info. Good luck.

marthamoo Fri 08-Jul-05 21:36:24

There have been threads on this and I will try and find them in a minute.

First off...don't panic. I'm not familiar with the term 'dyskaryosis' but mild is reassuring. I had the most advanced level of abnormal cells at my first ever smear: CIN3 (I was 19). The doctor told me that this level of abnormality might...in around ten years develop into cervical cancer...so you really, truly, don't need to worry (you are not planning on being pregnant for the next ten years, I take it?)

You will be fine. I will look for the threads, bear with me.

Heathcliffscathy Fri 08-Jul-05 21:39:40

don't panic.. most of the time this resolves itself...and certainly wiould take years to develop into cancer....there is plenty plenty of time after your pregnancy to sort this out. please please don't worry.

i had cin1 and cause i went private (had insurance thro work) they did a loop excision...retrospectively i wish that i had gone nhs as they would have waited (quite rightly imo) and in all likelihood the cells would have gone back to normal and i wouldn't have had (albeit minor) surgery.

i know it's easily said, but please don't worry, this is not cancer....

marthamoo Fri 08-Jul-05 21:42:12

I can't find the exact threads I was thinking of - but if you go to archived threads and put "smear test" in words to search for you will find lots.

If I were you I would make an appointment with your GP on Monday morning and talk all this over with him/her - I am sure you will find that more reassuring than us!

Good luck with the pregnancy.

jellyhead Fri 08-Jul-05 21:48:31

lucymoo I have just had the same result back on my smear test and have been reassured that the cells may well revert back to normal by the time the smear is repeated in 6 months or the extreme worse case sceniro that it could develop into cancer but would take 12-15 years.
You have plenty of time to be treated if you need to be so try not to worry, enjoy your pregnancy have a repeat smear and then if and big if have treatment when your baby is born.

Lucymoo Sat 09-Jul-05 08:01:12

Thanks for all your replies,i feel alot more calmer and reassured this morning.

Fran1 Sat 09-Jul-05 08:12:55

I had this same result for a few years running with smears every 6 months. Eventually they did a colposcopy ( i think that is to check further rather than treat ). Eventually i got an all clear smear test and now they just check every 6 months to be safe.

This is very common and does not mean cancer. It is what can lead to cancer, but won't always and as someone else said could take ten years if it did - and as you are being monitored they wouldn't allow that to happen. I have been told (not sure on the truth) but even a poor sample being taken can flag up abnormal cells- meaning there is nothing wrong at all.

I think docs prefer to not test whilst pg unless they see it as necessary. As this is your first abnormal result and it is only mild i would assume they will wait until you have had your baby.

samandemmasmum Tue 27-Feb-07 22:01:03

i had a smear 4 weeks ago .got my results today and i could hardly breath they came back as severe dyskaryosis or cin3 as its also known. can only see my doctors tomorrow so one big bottle of wine and maybe a good nights sleep that after plaining myt funeral today and deciding who would look after the kids and need i say any more, in a bit of a state ......

expatinscotland Tue 27-Feb-07 22:02:25

Also, vaginal birth will also oftentimes take care of mild and even moderate dysplasia.

AngeG Tue 27-Feb-07 22:15:09

Samandemmasmum - I had an abnormal smear and follow up colposcopy - where they look at the cells under a microscope, they also took a biopsy, it came back as CIN3 they took great care to reassure me that this was not cancer but precancer, ie it could develop into cancer over a period of years.

I had the cells removed by loop excision and now have to have smears/colposcopys every 6 months as a precaution.

Try not to worry. Glad that you've got an appointment with the doctor for tomorrow, hopefully they will help to reassure you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now