Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Help: Persistent cough/cold in 4 year old, with new baby now at home

(3 Posts)
RoseBerry Thu 07-Jul-05 12:03:50

My daughter (4) has had an on/off cough for ages now and we can't seem to get rid of it. It is accompanied with a runny nose and gunk in her eye, along with an occasional fever. We treat the symptoms, eye drops and cleansing for the eye, cal-pol for fever, but don't know what to do to clear this up for good. Other than this she is healthy, is not listless, energy level seems normal, as does appetite.

In addition to wanting to clear this for her, I am also concerned about the new baby in the house and how her cold may affect him. Any ideas/help/suggestions are appreciated!!!!

lynnej Thu 07-Jul-05 13:46:48

My kids have coughs too and I have found they are a lot better with asthma inhalers but these are only good if your kids get coughs every other month like mine do, winter and summer!!!

Lonelymum Thu 07-Jul-05 13:58:27

Sorry to be negative, but prepare yourself for a couple of years of constant illness. That is what I have endured for the last couple of years with ds3 (my fourth baby). He caught a cold every two weeks throughout his first two years (slightly less in the summer - maybe a cold every month). He is now coming up to 2.5 and I can't remember when he last had a cold, but I know it was pretty continuous before that. The only comfort you can take from this is that they will be healthier later. My third child also had lots of colds as a baby but has nearly completed her first year of school without a single day off (touch wood!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now