Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

MMR after chickenpox

(5 Posts)
Monkeysmom Wed 06-Jul-05 16:03:06

My son, 14 mo has just had chickenpox. At the moment I am still in the process of deciding whether to go for the MMR or single vaccines.
I have spoken to the GP re MMR and he said that DS can have the vaccine 2-3 weeks after chickenpox.
I have spoken to a private clinic re single jabs and they told me that he cannot have his first vaccine before 3 Months after chickenpox.
As I found the two different opinions very confusing, I have logged my question with NHS direct. Their response was : “we are unable to provide advice on the MMR vaccine. We are able to give general information about the vaccine from accredited public health websites only. “ So no direct answer to my question.
I don’t know what to do. Whether I go for MMR or single jabs, I would like to know the safe period I have to wait after chickenpox. I have looked at all possible websites and this information is nowhere to be found. Can anybody help ?

Socci Wed 06-Jul-05 17:21:31

Message withdrawn

HappyMumof2 Wed 06-Jul-05 17:25:29

Message withdrawn

Socci Wed 06-Jul-05 21:52:02

Message withdrawn

GeorginaA Wed 06-Jul-05 22:06:37

Personally, I would go with the longer time (3 months), just for peace of mind. That only puts him at 17 months and the vaccine is recommended between 13-18 mths iirc, with the later ages being preferable because it "takes" better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now