Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DS's Head is Flat

(17 Posts)
Janbo25 Tue 05-Jul-05 13:17:34

My ds is 6 month old, he was born via vontouse delivery and soon after we brought him home noticed his head was very flat at the back on the right hand side, which I know is normal in babies because they are constantly on there backs, however my son's as not got any better and it is extremely noticable just on the right hand side at the back, I'm just wondering if anyone else as had this problem and if there is anything that can be done?

Janh Tue 05-Jul-05 13:26:06

It's not uncommon, janbo - piece here from babyworld, and plagiocephaly.co.uk is all about it. There are some mums here with babies with flat heads, I will try to find a thread.

Merlot Tue 05-Jul-05 13:28:04

Hi

My ds1 who is 8 had a fairly flat head. In fact from the rear his head looked a little, teddy bear shaped (ie, wide and flat). Tbh, it didnt occur to me to ask any questions about it...he was monitored for a while because his head was large, but it always followed the same centile. Also, as ds1's development was entirely normal it never gave cause for concern. Incidently, ds1 has sort of `grown into his head' over time

Has you 6 month old got much hair? I wondered if it looks worse because of lack of hair? What does your doctor/hv say? I think, if you are concerned you should mention it....if only for reassurance

lilaclotus Tue 05-Jul-05 13:28:10

my dd, dh and mil all have a bit of a flat bit on their head, on the back felt side. it's one of those (many) weird things she's inherited from his side of the family, it seems.

lilaclotus Tue 05-Jul-05 13:28:29

left not felt

tex111 Tue 05-Jul-05 13:28:47

We had this problem with DS. He had torticollis (sp?) which meant that his neck muscles were shorter on one side so he always held his head in the same position which made that side of his head flat. Once he had some physio and stretched his neck muscles he was able to lie in different positions and it got better. When he started sitting up we noticed a bigger difference and eventually his head went almost back to normal. Ds is three now and we can still see a little uneveness but I don't think other people would even notice.

Do ask your HV or GP about it. In some cases children wear a special helmet to help reshape the head but we were told that was only necessary in extreme cases. Apparently, babies' heads stay somewhat malleable until about age two so they have the ability to naturally reshape on their own.

Janh Tue 05-Jul-05 13:30:14

Found the one I was thinking of - here

HTH

weesaidie Tue 05-Jul-05 14:04:27

Hello

My daughters head was flat when she was born and touching it now I think it probably still is a little! You can't notice it now as her hair has thickened up, she is 15 months.

I wouldn't worry about it too much!

Janbo25 Tue 05-Jul-05 15:00:24

hi my doctor initially picked up on the flatness of his head at his 6 to 8 week check, however she said it would correct itself soon, but there as been no change and he doesn't even sleep on his back anymore he sleeps on left hand side, saw my HV today who said not to worry but perhaps mention it to the doctor.

ruty Wed 06-Jul-05 10:35:12

you can get a helmet fitted but it is expensive, about 1500 quid all in all I think. And they have to wear it all the time. My ds's flat head did distress me for a while, but he had`such bad eczema on his forehead i knew the helmet would drive him crazy. He is now ten months old and it does seem a lot betterm't know - , you wouldn't notice it if you didn't know - but we did take him to a chiropractor for his neck muscles.

lemonice Wed 06-Jul-05 11:19:57

My dgs was born with a noticeably flat head on the left side. he is now 14 months and I think it is a lot less than it was but still quite obvious, we were quite worried at about 5 or six months because we thought it would have gone by then but it doesn't seem to have affcetd him at all and I think it will lessen further in the next twelve months.

I looked in to the helmets which seem popular in the US but tbh I'm not completely convinced about them unless there is a serious problem where the shape of the head affects development.

PeachyClair Wed 06-Jul-05 12:21:39

This happened to my Sister, her ds1 (only ds) had / has an extremely flat head which caused a lot of concern. They saw a consulatnt but it has been decided that in his case it will improve on it's own- happily, poor little mite was a premmie, he has been through enough!

I remember reading in Junior magazine a very intelligent article all about this and a solution (the helmet) offered by a Consultant in, I THINK, Southampton: If you go to the Junior website you may well be able tor equest a copy of the article.

hope that it is helpful!

spidermama Wed 06-Jul-05 12:25:14

My husband and two of my ds's have a big, pronounced flat bit on their heads. It seems to be a family quirk. Have you checked other family members?

HandbagAddiction Wed 06-Jul-05 18:01:06

At 6 months, it is still possible for some cranial osteopathy to work. It may not necessarily solve the problem but it will ensure your ds's bones in his skull are properly aligned and able to grwo further without restriction. dd was also a ventouse delivery and whilst having no obvious lumps and bumps, I did take her to see one afterwards just to ensure that any head trauma from the birth was sorted out.

Might be worth trying to speak to someone who is qualified to treat babies and discuss whether it might provide some help.

Janbo25 Wed 13-Jul-05 17:54:38

hi many thanks for the responses, I think i will try him with cranial osteopathy and see how it goes, anyone any idea on cost?

spidermama Wed 13-Jul-05 17:56:34

It depends where you are. We have a clinic in Brighton which is a charity and treats children for nothing, or for a donation.

Otherwise it'll be between £20 and £30 IME.

ck1 Mon 18-Jul-05 11:31:55

Hi Janbo and all

I run a paarents support group for babies with flat heads and we have loads of information and a very active group of parents on the message board.

http://groups.msn.com/PlagioUK

Drop by and have a look. You only need to join as a member if you want to post on the message board.

Claire

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now