Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else have long term problems due to SPD?

(14 Posts)
Puff Tue 05-Jul-05 09:37:45

I had SPD v badly during my pregnancy with ds2, and after he was born, had problems with my right leg (could not lift it, had to sort of drag it around behind me, and continue to use crutches for a couple of weeks until the feeling came back). This all cleared up, although I always have to sleep with a pillow between my legs, otherwise my hips hurt.

A couple of days ago, I started to get problems at the top of my right leg again, and it's now quite bad, can't move the leg forward without a lot of pain at the top - v similar to how it was after ds2.

Can't get to the doctor today because of it - will have to wait until dh is around to get me there.

I'm wondering if it is to do with the SPD - anyone else have similar problems?

fastasleep Tue 05-Jul-05 09:39:34

I got 'clunky hips' after the SPD had worn off last time, every now and then they'll get very sore and clicky around the sockets... I think it's just one of those 'mum things'...hope it wears off and the doctor can help!

Mae1 Tue 05-Jul-05 12:59:02

I had spd - took about 6mths for symptoms to "clear up" -dd now coming up for 2 and I still have aches & pains (lower back & pelvis).
Can't really lie on my back in bed due to aching back.
My sympathy goes out to you - let us know how you get on at the GP!

006 Tue 05-Jul-05 13:09:41

Dear Puff, things did not get back to normal for 8months after dd2. However, it kick in before morning sickness wth dd3. Could you be pregnant?

Toothache Tue 05-Jul-05 13:12:27

Puff - My dd is 11mths old and I still have terrible pains in my pelvis and lower back if I sit a certain way or walk for a long time. Can't quite believe it's still effecting me after all this time. I was going to give it until dd was ayr before going to the GP.
I sometimes get a sharp shooting pain right at the top of my thigh. It can last a few hours at a time.

Sorry not much help to you.

Puff Tue 05-Jul-05 14:47:56

006 - I hope not!

I have found myself a makeshift walking stick - the pole off the back of ds2's tricycle !

Catsmother Tue 05-Jul-05 15:08:50

My daughter is now 21 months old, and I still notice hip/pelvic pain on a regular basis. If I walk into, and around town, then back again, admittedly up a hill, my hips always start playing up on the return journey ... probably after only about 1.5 miles, so not really what I'd call exertion at all.

The absolute, disabling pain - or agony - of SPD, where I couldn't even turn over in bed unless I clung onto the bedhead and pulled myself over using my arms (whilst gasping & panting), went, I think, about 3-4 months after she was born. I do seem to have been left with this weakness in that area though, like I said, walk a mile or more and it flares up, or after gardening.

How old is your son ?

Puff Tue 05-Jul-05 17:43:38

He's 2.

I did do an awful lot more walking/lifting/carrying than usual last week, which I think set it off.

Catsmother Tue 05-Jul-05 19:27:21

Well, that's a ridiculous amount of time to still be suffering so badly you can't even get yourself to the doctors. So ... however you manage it, I think that's wher you need to go !

Perhaps they can prescribe some physio ?

Puff Tue 05-Jul-05 19:32:56

It hasn't been troublesome at all until the last couple of days - it may not be related to the spd of course. Will see gp tomorrow.

Moomin Tue 05-Jul-05 19:33:05

Puff - I'd bypass the doctor's and go straight to an osteopath. If you can afford some sessions it will be well worth it. Waiting for a referral from the NHS could take donkeys and may not even be successful. An osteopath will be able to see what's wrong after just one good session and will then spend the other sessions putting it right and giving you exercises to help stave it off/stop it all together. Where I am (midlands) the 1st session was 1hr and cost £40, subsequent sessions were half an hour, £25 a go.

I had spd with pg no.1 and saw an nhs physio which was fairly rubbish. The spd only went because I had placenta praevia and had to lay in bed for 8 weeks! Since then I saw an osteo for a long-term back problem made worse by the pg and spd and he's cured me! Am going to see him again soon as the spd is making a come back now I'm 6m pg. Good luck!

Puff Tue 05-Jul-05 19:34:29

Thanks moomin! I will look into seeing an osteopath - I found the nhs physio minimally helpful tbh.

Moomin Tue 05-Jul-05 19:40:17

yes - the nhs physio had me lying on bin nags to help me turn over (nice in hot weather!) and just bunged a tubigrip and some crutches at me. Osteo looked at everything to do with my legs, hips, back and neck. It was amazing how much he could tell just from examining me the first time. When you're in pain you over-compensate in other parts of your back/pelvis and they get all out of alignment too. After recurrent back problems from the age of 20 (I was 35 when I saw him) my back is pain-free. And when I do get twinges, I know what to do now to stop it developing. Best money I've ever spent.

Moomin Tue 05-Jul-05 19:40:43

or bin BAGS even!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now