Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Lump in throat . . .

(7 Posts)
Libb Mon 04-Jul-05 20:36:36

Has anyone ever had experience of a lump in their throat? I have had a feeling like an ulcer right down in my throat on and off for about 3/4 years now.

I have now had it persistently for the last 4/5 weeks and the doctor just told me it was normal because I am currently under a lot of stress and my anxiety levels are very high. No s**t Sherlock!

However I am sure I can feel a lump right down by my vocal chords so I will give it a week and then go back - the doctor is not my usual one and it away with the fairies quite frankly - he asked me if I am left handed?! (I understand we can be notoriously sensitive but it is hardly a medical impairment!)

Just wondered if anyone else had experience of this?

Libb Mon 04-Jul-05 20:41:16

I forgot to mention that all he wanted to do was pescribe ADs - I said no at this point and from then on in he was a bit flippant. Can you change your doctor within a surgery? the last duty doctor I saw was a woman and wonderfully kind.

I never used to go to the Doctor's but since DS came along it has been relentless . . .

Lilypad Mon 04-Jul-05 20:44:19

Yes I have usually when stressed out. Never suggested AD's though. Try another doc Libb.

SuziWoozi Mon 04-Jul-05 20:49:31

If your doctor can't help, what about trying a Naturopath/Herbalist? I've seen one in the past and was amazed at how she helped me. Only a suggestion but mighgt be worth a go?

Libb Mon 04-Jul-05 20:55:12

Thank you, I have decided to try out St John's Wort to help with the stress etc - it worked once before but is a bit pricy for me right now, wish they encouraged it on the NHS - I could see him huffing when I said no!

valentine Wed 06-Jul-05 19:14:04

I get a lump in my throat when i am very anxious - the Dr explained that it is the muscles in the throat constricting and said while it is a genuine lump (i.e. of muscles), it is nothing to worry about.

beansontoast Wed 06-Jul-05 19:35:28

does it change your voice? or make it harder for you to speak normally , or hurt when you are speaking?? if so your gp could refer to a speech therapist..she could help you with some relaxation tips that target that area or maybe investigate it further.
sounds like youre having a grim time ,hope this helps x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: