Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Teenage chaffing inner thighs in heat - any tips how to avoid?

(30 Posts)
mears Sun 03-Jul-05 21:47:21

My poor 17 yr old Ds suffered terribly last year in Florida with an awful rash on his inner thighs/groin area which was very painful when walking. Any tips out there from DH's who have suffered this same condition on how to avoid/treat?

mears Sun 03-Jul-05 21:48:02

Not the best thread title to attract attention

lilaclotus Sun 03-Jul-05 21:49:20

is it like friction burn?

hunkermunker Sun 03-Jul-05 21:49:54

Do you think talcum powder might help?

charleepeters Sun 03-Jul-05 21:50:42

talcum powder is good for this and also tell him to make sure he dries himself properly after bathing. sudo cream is also really grat for sores i get this just under my boob and it works a treat

crumpet Sun 03-Jul-05 21:52:21

Marathon runners use a stack of vaseline to stop the chafing. (May not be so comfortable if Florida is very hot though...)

starlover Sun 03-Jul-05 21:55:04

i have no idea if this is relevant... but what kind of pants does he wear?

just thinking along the lines that cotton y-fronts (i know, i know!) may leave him drier in that region than baggy boxers... iyswim?

crumpet Sun 03-Jul-05 21:55:55

Here you go - from the flora marathon website:

"Tape up and grease. Surgical tape on nipples (male and female) and vaseline between the legs, under the arms and maybe on toes, if you are blister prone. "

charleepeters Sun 03-Jul-05 21:56:09

Lol starlover i have never met a 17 year old boy who would consider wearing anything but boxer its deemd 'uncool' i think!

starlover Sun 03-Jul-05 21:59:14

i know! i am just thinking about sort of sweat absorbing properties of them... compared to boxers!

oh, how about those kind of jersey ones which aren't y-fronts but they're a bit more fitted than boxers...

starlover Sun 03-Jul-05 21:59:42

crumpet... surgical tape on nipples??????/ why is that?
i need more info!!!

charleepeters Sun 03-Jul-05 22:00:30

i think the nipple thing is because if they get errect they rub on your top and get sore - ouch!

mears Sun 03-Jul-05 22:02:49

nipple chaffing - very painful.

Thanks for that I did think boxers were the problem last year. Also baggy shorts. We did use talcum but had to stop and reapply every loo we passed. That was once it had appeared. Prevention is better than cure. Will see about Y fronts - he will be mortified!

starlover Sun 03-Jul-05 22:04:25

how about something like these instead of y-fronts... basically the same but a slightly longer leg!

crumpet Sun 03-Jul-05 22:06:31

nipple bleeds... my dh did the marathon this year and only came home the once after training with nipple bleeds after his t-shirt had rubbed -painful & his t-shirt looked gross. After that, although he didn't use the tape, he got through a hell of a lot of vaseline!

mears Sun 03-Jul-05 22:06:56

Snug fit cotton boxers might be the answer. Thanks.

starlover Sun 03-Jul-05 22:07:08

wow... i would have never thought that would be an issue!

crumpet Sun 03-Jul-05 22:09:34

I know - to think people do marathons for fun!

Earlybird Sun 03-Jul-05 22:51:20

A male golfer friend says he and all his mates use sudocream to prevent this problem when playing golf in hot weather. Sounds ludicrous, but who knows? Maybe it works...think my pal would only mention it if it was an effective solution.

wheresmyfroggy Sun 03-Jul-05 23:08:03

My bil is a builder and gets this really badly in hot weather and he uses sudocream

Fran1 Sun 03-Jul-05 23:11:27

Dare i suggest Aveeno again?

Sorry to bore you with it, but once again this is a miracle cure for me!

RTKangaMummy Sun 03-Jul-05 23:17:04

talcum powder to prevent

sudocrem to treat

eidsvold Mon 04-Jul-05 00:12:32

could also try lanacane medicated powder - used it with dd1 when she had terrible heat rash all over her back... soothes and prevents more. Cleared it up in no time... think it is more cornfloury rather than talc powder iykwim.

hakunamatata Mon 04-Jul-05 00:14:03

Lose weight.

mears Mon 04-Jul-05 00:15:13

He isn't fat!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now