Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

How soon after end of lochia can you have a period?

(12 Posts)
themothership Sun 03-Jul-05 14:47:50

Hi
I'm a bit confused... I had my dd just over 6 weeks ago, and my lochia appeared to have completely finished about 1 week ago. At the end it was very light and not really blood like (sorry about too much detail). However this morning I started bleeding again, like a proper period (although not particularly heavy at the moment). Is this my lochia returning? Or am I having my first 'real' period?

I'm a bit peeved at the whole bleeding thing starting again so soon when I thought I was going to have a reprieve (am exclusively breastfeeding).

Yorkiegirl Sun 03-Jul-05 14:51:28

Message withdrawn

Merlot Sun 03-Jul-05 15:30:47

same thing happened to me too - not a proper period, just a return of the lochia.

Nemo1977 Sun 03-Jul-05 15:31:30

same here i had a whole weeks break between lochia which lasted 5 wks then af turned up following week

spidermama Sun 03-Jul-05 15:34:58

If you are breast feeding it's very unlikely to be a period. If bottle feeding it's possible. Sometimes the blood returns if you've been over doing it a bit. The wound in the womb has to heal where the placenta pulled away from it.
I bled for about 6 weeks after ds1.

LIZS Mon 04-Jul-05 09:37:46

Happened to me too, even though fully b'feeding. Dr confirmed it at my 6 week check up. Then had another about 2/3 weeks later, then a break until ds was 5 months old !

NotQuiteCockney Mon 04-Jul-05 09:39:42

A friend of mine had her period return at 6 weeks, with each baby, despite fully breastfeeding.

So it could be more lochia, could be a period. Hopefully it's lochia ...

muminlondon Mon 04-Jul-05 13:47:07

I remember it going on for ages - 8-9 weeks but with a break of a couple of weeks in the middle. But then nothing till 9 months as was breastfeeding fully. If you don't have any alarming pains it's probably OK.

themothership Mon 04-Jul-05 16:29:23

Thanks everyone, reassuring to hear that others have had this too. And is it normal for the new bleeding to be proper blood rather than brown, or mucous-like, like at had at what I thought was the end of my lochia?

Fio2 Mon 04-Jul-05 16:31:24

yes ine actually happened almost immediately after the lochia had stopped or was stopping. this happened both times i had children

muminlondon Mon 04-Jul-05 17:24:13

I think I assumed the same as you - that I had actually had a period or breakthrough bleeding, so it must have looked like fresh blood. But it didn't go on for much longer, then I never had another period for months. And have had very normal regular periods since they resumed.

purpleturtle Mon 04-Jul-05 17:31:54

I had a period when dd was 6 weeks old. Fully bf - friend of mine too. HV told us we were both 'unlucky'!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: