Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

I am sat here wondering how people justify NOT giving vaccinations to their children when there are children in the world that are dying because they can't get them

(169 Posts)
RTKangaMummy Sat 02-Jul-05 19:56:16

I am sat here wondering how people justify NOT giving vaccinations to their children when there are children in the world that are dying because they can't get them

Why do people in USA and Europe not realise how fortunate their children are to be given the opertunity to have vaccinations

And then they don't give them

There are children in the world dying cos they can't have them

I DO REALISE we are talking about different diseases

But it all seems wrong to me

Gobbledigook Sat 02-Jul-05 19:57:05

Eeek Kanga - got yer hard hat on?!

Gobbledigook Sat 02-Jul-05 19:57:32

You know I'm pro-vacc so won't say anymore!

happymerryberries Sat 02-Jul-05 19:59:15

thought the same as you gdg, and i am pro vaccination as well. flame proof undies on, i'm staying well out of this one

RTKangaMummy Sat 02-Jul-05 20:00:16

I just don't get it

I know I am dim but why????

I do NOT want an arguement just thinking out loud really

It just seems wrong that we have all these opertunities but don't take advantage of them

madmarchhare Sat 02-Jul-05 20:00:27

Just a quick 'pro' vote from me before it kicks off.

Aero Sat 02-Jul-05 20:00:49

me too (mine are vaccinated for everything)!

RTKangaMummy Sat 02-Jul-05 20:01:40

It does not have to kick off does it?

why can't it just be discussed sensibly

Gobbledigook Sat 02-Jul-05 20:02:14

It should be Kanga but these debates often get heated!

Nemo1977 Sat 02-Jul-05 20:02:30

i agree too RTKM but as others have said i am provaccine

philippat Sat 02-Jul-05 20:02:48

but that's just like saying 'why don't people finish their meals when people are starving'

our real luxury in the west is to have choice.

RTKangaMummy Sat 02-Jul-05 20:03:32

Yes GDG I am not having a go at mnetters just questioning the morality of the world really

WideWebWitch Sat 02-Jul-05 20:03:44

If you'd like a sensible civilised debate about vaccination you're going about it the wrong way IMO RTKM.

soapbox Sat 02-Jul-05 20:03:50

Don't want an argument either but I think you'll find that for those who have chosen not to vaccinate their children the decision was not taken at all lightly.

For the vast majority the decision is not 'whether to vaccinate' but 'how to vaccinate'.

IME there are very few people who have chosen not to vaccinate at all, unless they already have a child who may have been vaccine damaged already.

Blossomhill Sat 02-Jul-05 20:03:50

Kanga - There are parents on here whose children's autism was caused by vacciantions. I think they have every right not to vaccinate other children if they feel that it may do so again.
I am pro btw but can see both sides of the coin!

emily05 Sat 02-Jul-05 20:03:54

I think that what people choose is up to them. My ds has had his vaccinantions, but I wouldn't judge somebody for not. That is a great thing about the western world we have choice.

HappyMumof2 Sat 02-Jul-05 20:05:30

Message withdrawn

RTKangaMummy Sat 02-Jul-05 20:05:39

philippat yes I see where you are coming from

BUT doesn't really answer the question

Yes everyone has a choice I knwo that but is it right????

Blossomhill Sat 02-Jul-05 20:05:39

Kanga - parents don't just think Oh I know I won't vaccinate my child because I don't care/can't be bothered. It is bacause they care so much usually and are scared of the consequences if they do.

happymerryberries Sat 02-Jul-05 20:05:44

the reason is that this is a topic that people feel very strongly about on both sides of the argument and it directly affects children and their wellbeing. bound to be a hot topic on mn.
my last word on the thread

soapbox Sat 02-Jul-05 20:06:19

Well if you are questioning morality then surely with such a low incidence of life threatening disease here (even measles falls into that category} then we should just send the vaccination budget to Africa full stop!

It would save more children there than it saves here!

snafu Sat 02-Jul-05 20:06:23

What, is it right that not everyone has the choice? No, it isn't.

Gobbledigook Sat 02-Jul-05 20:06:27

For me the vaccine argument is a little more complex because whether or not you vaccinate your child could impact someone else.

However, I do understand that some have very valid reasons for choosing not to and I totally respect that.

HappyMumof2 Sat 02-Jul-05 20:06:32

Message withdrawn

madmarchhare Sat 02-Jul-05 20:06:48

Blossomhill, are you referring to MMR vaccine?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now