Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Chicken Pox Question

(16 Posts)
kid Wed 29-Jun-05 20:51:56

DD had a rash over her back a couple of days ago. They seemed to fade slightly. This morning I noticed she has got 3 spots on her tummy. She is scratching them alot and they are quite large with broken skin in the middle of the spot. When she came home from school she had another 2 on her arm.

So could this be chicken pox (5 spots in 48 hours) or would it be more obvious?

She is still eating well and doesn't have a temperature, she is 6 years old.

PrettyCandles Wed 29-Jun-05 20:56:26

Do the spots have little pale blisters on them? With my two, the first spot or two were quite large, 2-3mm across and also very raised, but the others that followed were much smaller. Have any scabbed over? It's the scabs that are particularly itchy (apparently, though my two fortunately were not too bothered by itching). She won't necessarily be poorly.

kid Wed 29-Jun-05 21:01:25

they haven't scabbed over, I don't if the skin has broken from her scratching the spots or if they would have blistered anyway.
Come to think of it she hasn't got hardly any nails because she bites them (YUK!)

beansontoast Wed 29-Jun-05 21:21:11

it could well be chickenpox...my nephews both had it with less than twenty spots between them and not so much as a day grizzling/off food.

my son has just had it and suffered from high temp and loads and loads of spots [dr said number of spots has nothing to do with severity]

the pattern of the outbreak ie tummy then limbs ,sounds like c/pox too.
good luck hope she gets well soon,whatever it is x

PrettyCandles Thu 30-Jun-05 10:21:32

A bit difficult to tell really. It's the blisters that really give the clue. I suspect that the rash on her back was nothing to do with this and that she now has chickenpox. Thank goodness the weather has cooled down a bit - the heat would have made the itchyness worse. Do your best to stop her scratching - I found that frequent tepid baths with oats and cornflour very effective. I let the children play in the bath as long as they wanted. I think other mums have given their children antihistamines with good effect, and of course there's good old-fashioned calamine lotion. You could give her a very soft paintbrush and let her paint it on herself.

Hermione1 Thu 30-Jun-05 13:53:42

My dd is also 6, and came up with spots and wasn't sure if it was chicken pox, but am totally sure now as they seem to be blistering, and very itchy, she is well in herself and has not got a temperature. But work weren't too happy when i said i couldn't go in this morning, but what could i do?? My ds2 has not got them...YET, but i am sure he will because he hasn't had them either. Ir's only been the first day and already bored to death!!

kid Thu 30-Jun-05 21:39:43

I am still in denial about her having CP. She now has 12 spots ( how sad am I for counting them every half hour or so!!!)
They sort of look like bites. I'm still sending her to school tomorrow , its sports day and I have to go as I work there.

DS has a temperature not but no sign of any spots. Just wish I knew one way or the other really. Guess I can have another count of her spots in the morning!

Hermione1 Thu 30-Jun-05 21:41:41

i definately know with my dd as she's got lodes of them now and they look like small blisters, and itch, do they itch??

FairyMum Thu 30-Jun-05 21:44:51

I think you will know if CP! They look like blisters and it develops quite quickly. At least this is what happened when mine had CP. Both mine got very itchy and a bit under the weather. You should keep them away from other children for 5 days I think.

HappyMumof2 Thu 30-Jun-05 21:46:04

Message withdrawn

kid Thu 30-Jun-05 21:47:30

the spots are very itchy, I am trying my best to stop her scratching.

Hermione1 Thu 30-Jun-05 21:48:02

exactly what ff said, spots seemed to just appear within hours, i hope they don't scar

HappyMumof2 Thu 30-Jun-05 21:48:07

Message withdrawn

Hermione1 Thu 30-Jun-05 21:48:35

get some calamine lotion, seems to have worked abit for my dd.

kid Thu 30-Jun-05 21:52:07

As the spots are on her belly and upper arm and just starting to appear on her back (ie out of sight when dressed) do you reckon I can get away with sending her to school tomorrow or is that just mean?!

I might see if I can get a doctor appointment tomorrow afternoon and get them to confirm or dismiss it.

PrettyCandles Fri 01-Jul-05 13:25:30

I hope you didn't send her to school today, Kid. Chickenpox is a very mild illness for most, but can be terrible for vulnerable people. My dad caught it from my dd and it was extremely serious - potentially life-threatening. Not to mention what it could do to a pregnant mum.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now