Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DD has just been bitten by a spider. Are there poisonous spiders in spain?

(53 Posts)
lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:01:51

DD has just been bitten on the finger by a huge black hairy spider. its the hairiest spider ive ever seen, should I be rushing to the urgencia?

Hermione1 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:02:25

i would to be on the safe side you never know do you??

alux Wed 29-Jun-05 20:05:35

catch the spider if you can and take it along if you to to a&e. I doubt there are any poisonous spiders in spain otherwise it would be publicised in tourist literature.

PS All spiders have venom but the venom of only a few are poisonous to humans.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 29-Jun-05 20:06:43

if your dd is little then urgencias yes, definitely.

If she's older it'll probably just be like a really bad bee sting.

This from dh who is a snake/lizard/creepy crawly enthusiast.

lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:07:02

Her fingers really stinging any ideas of what to put on it. shes with dh at mo, if you are wondering what I am doing on here.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 29-Jun-05 20:08:19

there are poisonous spiders in spain - the black widow being one of them (it's not native obviously but lives here). there is also a big black spider that gives a very nasty bite, and could be harmful to small children.

lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:08:41

thanks senora, I was going to call you by name. dd is 4. I think shes ok I just panicked

lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:12:10

this was a big thick legged hairy one with 2 pincers (mouth) at front and a 2 funny things at the back please ask your dd if I should be panicking.

gingerbear Wed 29-Jun-05 20:13:44

Oh Lucy, you really are having a bad time of it aren't you!!

lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:14:51

yes dd has got scarlet fever too as a result of glandular fever. AAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!

oatcake Wed 29-Jun-05 20:17:19

err, is it an urban myth that your own urine is good for stings? I know there was a whole sketch on Friends once when ross got stung by a jellyfish... Not wishing to sound weird but I think urine (her own) would take the sting out...

And... my friend does use her own for all sorts of applications, including drinking.

oatcake Wed 29-Jun-05 20:17:19

err, is it an urban myth that your own urine is good for stings? I know there was a whole sketch on Friends once when ross got stung by a jellyfish... Not wishing to sound weird but I think urine (her own) would take the sting out...

And... my friend does use her own for all sorts of applications, including drinking.

nellie245 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:17:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 29-Jun-05 20:22:40

Sorry lucy

dh says the spider he thinks it is is not really bad, but that he would take a 4 yr old to the clinico (they see kids first here).

he's looking up the exact species now though - he may be thinking of a different one.

As for taking the pain away - something cold?

TinyGang Wed 29-Jun-05 20:24:02

I would definately see the doctor asap if there's any doubt in your mind about this.

Blimey Oatcake - your friend actually drinks it?What are the benefits? (Er, not that I'm tempted, just curious)

whymummy Wed 29-Jun-05 20:24:41

oh no lucy,your poor dd,hope she's ok,horrible things spiders!!
there is a funnel web spider in southern spain but i don't know much about them.let us know how it goes

oatcake Wed 29-Jun-05 20:27:26

< bit of a hijack response: I really don't know the benefits of drinking it - she did try to explain once but I really can't see how drinking a waste product can be good for you. I'm sure it doesn't to any harm, but... She also washes in it and swears it brought her milk in when she dabbed it on her breasts after the birth of her daughter last week....>

lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:29:24

thanks ive got ice on it and friend with better spanish is phoning the hospital. will keep you posted.

lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:36:53

i think ive found it on internet it looks like a funnel web so im off to the hospital

SenoraPostrophe Wed 29-Jun-05 20:37:41

is this it?

sorry, it's heat not cold you need (should have asked dh)

Not seriously venemous, but is venemous. since she has a weakened immune system you should get her to hospital asap.

SenoraPostrophe Wed 29-Jun-05 20:38:36

btw it is a funnel web, but nowhere near as dangerous as the sydney funnel web (which is the one you'll have found)

lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 20:40:11

yes thats the one just found the same pic. will let you know. Thanks all so much!

whymummy Wed 29-Jun-05 20:42:13

good luck lucy

whymummy Wed 29-Jun-05 21:46:07

keep checking for news,i hope everything is ok lucy

lucy5 Wed 29-Jun-05 23:43:08

Hello all, panic over. It was a funnel web but not of the oz kind luckily. Poppy is fine, her finger swelled up and she was given a couple of injections and observed for a couple of hours. She is now in bed, although I dont know if she will ever get into her own bed again after what happened. Thanks for your concern just got to deal with her illness now. im off to pour myself a large vodka, NOT, i'm going to bed but I will check it first hahahaha

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now