Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

temperature alert-help needed

(8 Posts)
jollymum Wed 29-Jun-05 15:47:21

My 10yr old was ill yesterday, throwing up v. high temps. Brought them down with calpol, 10mls each time. Now she is on 103.4, is this dangerous? She's v hot but OK in herself, just flushed and sweaty. Advice please?

SoupDragon Wed 29-Jun-05 15:50:17

You can give nurofen syrup as well as the paracetamol. You stagger the doses (IIRC, paracetamol is every 4 hours, nurofen every 6)

lilaclotus Wed 29-Jun-05 15:50:47

might sound a bit silly, but have you tried a cold wet flannel on her forehead? that always helps with me to get fevers down.

Mum2girls Wed 29-Jun-05 16:15:20

or give her a luke warm bath if she's up to it.

nell12 Wed 29-Jun-05 19:34:38

keep up her fluids and ring gp / nhs direct

lilaclotus Wed 29-Jun-05 20:34:48

jollymum, is she any better now?

PrettyCandles Wed 29-Jun-05 20:52:47

If she still has such a high temp for over 24h, I would be inclined to call the doctor - or, at this hour, NHS Direct. I've had temps that high as a child, and apart from being ill (usually bronchitis) I was fine. But I was always seen by the GP.

I think that if you stagger Nurofen and Calpol then you give the Calpol at 6h intervals as well, so the child gets a dose of one or the other every 3h.

jollymum Thu 30-Jun-05 14:45:27

Thanks, guys. She's better now but has tinsilitis I think. Happy to be skiving at home with me too!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now