Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Really weird skin thing keeps happening..

(18 Posts)
fastasleep Wed 29-Jun-05 11:39:09

Just wondering if any of you have ever had this/heard if this!

I'm 23 weeks pregnant and I have gastric flu right now so either of those might be relevent (bleeeugh)

I woke up this morning with what looked like massive nettle stings over the top half of one leg and over half of my face... they were about an inch wide and circularish and very raised with bright pink edges, they faded about half an hour after I got up though and are now just itchy flat red patches... but since then I've discovered a new one on my other leg which is huuge, it's just beginning to fade... and a few on the side of my waist....what on earth is it?! [confused emoticon!]

spots Wed 29-Jun-05 11:42:42

are they hellish itchy? Sounds like hives (think urticarea or something is proper word ... look on lanacane tube!) whihc are an allergic reaction. I get them a lot this time of year associated with hayfever, but on occasion have got them out of the blue. Very unpleasant, poor you - antihystamines work but not sure about them during pg. Camomile lotion, lanacane cream, bicarb soda in bath... but you don't mention their itchiness so perhaps they're not bothering you too much?

spots Wed 29-Jun-05 11:43:54

forgot to add, they are made worse or appear after scratching, and in bad cases even light contact brings them up.

fastasleep Wed 29-Jun-05 11:44:45

Oh F£*$*£$ gastric flu and HIVES.

This is not fair...

They are hellishly itchy

lilaclotus Wed 29-Jun-05 11:45:09

it does sound like hives. you might be allergic to something.

fastasleep Wed 29-Jun-05 11:47:27

As long as it's not croissants... it can't be those they're all I can eat right now lol!!

soapbox Wed 29-Jun-05 11:47:33

This is urticaria - usually an allergic reaction to something.

Conventional medicine is usless as resolving this in my experience but homeopathic remedy worked almost immediately for my sister and daughter. They would also be safe in pregnancy.

It seems that tomatoes, red/blue coloured berries of all sorts and red and orange colourings are the most likely suspects for allergens.

fastasleep Wed 29-Jun-05 11:49:10

But weirdly I haven't eaten in two days (except a croissant)...how bizarre to get it now... they do seem to appear where there are creases in my clothes... and if I scratch them they burn *sigh*

soapbox Wed 29-Jun-05 11:50:01

Washing powder???

spots Wed 29-Jun-05 11:51:56

do you get hayfever at all? mind you, sounds like clothing/linen might have something to do with it. Soap powder? Maybe you are unusually sensitive due to your pg?

fastasleep Wed 29-Jun-05 11:54:06

Haven't changed it... suppose I could have suddenly become allergic..lol I'm turning into my DH 'mr allergy man'

erm could it affect.. down there at all... which has been doing strange things recently... it's been strangely puffy and the skin seems paper thin as soon as my clothes rub against there the skin sort of cracks open...

I'm falling to pieces I give up

fastasleep Wed 29-Jun-05 11:54:52

I seem to be getting a bit sniffly and sneezy i don't usually get hayfever I think I might just have gone ultra sensitive with being pregnant... didn't happen last time though! Grr! Lol

spots Wed 29-Jun-05 11:56:34

I think any mucous membranes will be affected particularly, certainly I have found that, though mine was mainly in face. poor you, really, you have my sympathy! Cold bath, cold bath, cold bath. But don't rub dry afterwards! It will pass soon.

spots Wed 29-Jun-05 11:58:13

soapbox, what is the homeopathic remedy?

soapbox Wed 29-Jun-05 12:00:42

Spots - I have been sitting racking my brains on that one!

I used to carry it around all the time for my daughter in my handbag but she hasn't had an attack for so long now and so ditched it!

IIRC it was the one which is derived from beestings. Let me go and do a google and see if I can prompt my very poor memory

soapbox Wed 29-Jun-05 12:06:18

Should have remembered that the first principle of homeopathy is to treat like with like. So tyhr remedy is - Urtica Urens. Which is derived from nettles.

fastasleep Wed 29-Jun-05 12:09:54

So to get rid of it you rub yourself with nettles? Lol.. that's funny. I described it a little daftly to DH in an email and he was panicking thinking I had meningitis! Lol

I'd love to have a cold bath but it looks like I'm going to be on the loo for the next 20 minutes... ooooooOoooooh *crosses legs*

spots Wed 29-Jun-05 12:18:18

Thanks Soapbox. Fastasleep, if you try that do let us know how you get on... and good luck on the loo!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now